vintage Hofner basses truss rods .

Just done a deal  on a sixties hofner  hollowbody Bass and just a bit concerned about the truss rod. 

its all original with a straight neck and good action  ( only needed to lower the pickup) -but  I'm a bit paranoid about Hofner basses and their truss rods as the last two  I have owned ( 60s verythin basses ) had a snapped truss rod at the nut and a bodge repairs.

The neck is straight on the one I have  but even taking all the tension off the neck it still is straight and when tightened it still does not have an effect on the neck - there is some scrapping under the nut which I think where someone was trying to either remove or adjust the nut.  is this common on these early hofners basses ? 

It is currently strung with flatwounds with a good action and plays fine but Ho not too sure to keep it or try to get a refund .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    From your description, there is a high probability that the truss rod (or its adjuster) has seized. As you say, this is a known problem with the brand. Proper repair/refurbishment is tricky, costly and affects originality.

If distance selling regulations entitle you to return the instrument, consider doing that.

If you purchased the instrument *sold as seen* then you have little option but to prove your dedication to the old crate by investing in its long-term future.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • From your description, there is a high probability that the truss rod (or its adjuster) has seized. As you say, this is a known problem with the brand. Proper repair/refurbishment is tricky, costly and affects originality.

If distance selling regulations entitle you to return the instrument, consider doing that.

If you purchased the instrument *sold as seen* then you have little option but to prove your dedication to the old crate by investing in its long-term future.
    I've got 7 days for a refund so will probably take up the option, it's just that the neck is dead straight and it plays great but not too sure how long it will stay that way. 

The nut comes off / and on but as soon as it hits the "" plate " stop dead. 

Could the rod just fail and the tension pull it into a bow? 

• Took it back and got a refund, let them have the hassle.

Thanks again