Six string to four ~ bass conversion?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBM said:
    It will work if you use the bottom four strings from a 5-string set - it’s the same as if you capo’d a 5-string bass at the 5th fret.

I did exactly this with a cheap 70s 24”-scale bass when I’d broken my arm and couldn’t play a normal bass for a couple of months. I did a few band practices with it - it was fine, it sounded good enough and the intonation was acceptable, if not quite perfect. Not sure I would have gigged it, but my arm was OK enough to swap to a Mustang Bass by the time it mattered.

What you want to do will be a huge amount of work to both the headstock and bridge end though. Strangely, guitar pickups will work without any issues - Rickenbacker ‘toaster’ and Fender Musicmaster/Bronco Bass pickups have six polepieces, identical to the guitar ones :).
    ^^^This^^^

Also, ref the strings, Newtone at Matlock will do you custom lengths at very reasonable price in any core or windings you prefer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    prowla said:
    On a slightly more serious note, I have a Vox CLubman 202 project; I bought it for a few quid at a car boot and had some "creative" overpainting done, which I've stripped off (back to bare wood) pending re-painting.

:+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom