Amp Stands

What's Hot
Afternoon folks. I've been thinking about designing some nice wooden amp stands, both for live and home set ups, as there's nothing out there that I really like. I'm sure for some of you this would be a case of solving a problem that doesn't exist but I suspect there's probably quite a few players who would like something nice and made from solid wood to sit their amp on.

I haven't sat down yet with my brand manager (me with trendy glasses on) or my financial director (me with a calculator) to flesh out the details, but was hoping I could garner interest on this forum and use members to do some testing for me.
Maybe it could be that I send an amp stand to someone and they then have the option of buying the stand at a reduced price (in return for constructive criticism/glowing feedback). Otherwise it can be sent on to the next volunteer. I feel like another forum maker has done something similar in the past but can't remember how it worked - let me know if you remember.
Or maybe it needs to be something more official like a Kickstarter type thing.
As you can tell I'm still at the head-scratching stage but figured posting this would force me to get my act together!

At the minute I'm thinking of putting together three designs, all with the aim of raising a guitar amp off the floor and creating a good listening angle:
1 - something small and portable, with a fixed angle, quite low but with space beneath for a small/med pedal board, good for both live and home
2 - something bigger and more 'handsome' but without being a big chunky piece of furniture, with the capability to adjust the angle of the amp, aimed mainly at home and studio use (with plenty of pedalboard space beneath)
3 - same as 2 but with shelves above for amp heads and pegs on the side for cables (maybe a guitar hook as well to hang a guitar on)

I've started tinkering with designs but would love to get a sense of what 'features' players would actually find useful in different set ups e.g. the third option above is exactly what I need at home for me, but maybe no one else wants that at all!

I'll keep this thread updated as I work out the logistics of Kickstarter etc and maybe update with designs and prototypes as I go along.
I'd love for anyone with a passing interest to chip in with what would help them out in a live, home or studio situation, or any experiences of things that have or haven't worked for them in the past.

Cheers,

Sam
Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    edited February 2023
    I cant speak for all but what I would possibly  consider for home.
    1x12 combo size
    Raised 20cm off the floor (space for pedalboard underneath) with a slight upward amp angle.  
    A rack space on the side for 1-2 guitars.

A live would need to fold so I assume most would want it for amp angling only. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I cant speak for all but what I would possibly  consider for home.
    1x12 combo size
    Raised 20cm off the floor (space for pedalboard underneath) with a slight upward amp angle.  
    A rack space on the side for 1-2 guitars.

A live would need to fold so I assume most would want it for amp angling only. 
    that's the sort of thing I would want for home something to lift of the floor and angle up - I guess it would make hearing your amp better at lower volumes and keep pedals etc out of the way when not in use ...
  • Thanks @Winny_Pooh and @Nikc - that's really helpful (and encouraging, your needs chime with my own).
    The idea of guitar rack space on the side is interesting, although I really want to keep designs as simple as possible. Maybe it's a case of making something modular so that the guitar rack can be an optional extra that easily attaches. Just out of interest do people out there tend to leave guitars out of their case most of the time? I'm in humid North Devon so tend to pack mine away when I'm not playing.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I keep some out others live in their cases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sure some people would like something like this. I think you're right to separate out different products for live and home use, because the constraints are much different. It would be good if it were expandable in some way, in case your amp/set up changed. 

I have guitars out on stands but some in cases and i rotate them depending on what i need or want at the time. 
  • Nikc said:
    I keep some out others live in their cases.
    Yeah I think that's probably how most folks do it. I'll see if I can find a design that can accomodtae both.

It would be good if it were expandable in some way, in case your amp/set up changed.
    This is a really good point, thanks @Supportact - I think something modular-ish and expandable is the way to go.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    I like the idea of these. Case and stand with wheels and tow handle.

https://gatorco.com/shop/amps/amp-bags-cases/1x12-combo-amp-transporter-g-112a/
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 473
    I've mentioned these guys from the States before on discussions about amp stands, but I really like what they do - https://atlas-stands.com/

They're solid hardwood (usually walnut), fold up neatly, have some things like add-ons for higher backs, space for pedalboards, stands for single guitars at the front and they have a neat table-top that cancels out the tilt for a head to go on top.

https://www.instagram.com/atlasstands/

That's the kind of thing I think of for a premium, solid wood, home-use amp stand.  Lots of scope for nice wood, interesting joinery etc.
  • Yeah, Atlas are the only ones I've found that are doing something similar to the ideas floating round my head!
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com