Clever use of dynamics in song arrangement

What's Hot

Gene - Fighting Fit. 
Took me a while to clock what was going on with this song that made it work but eventually I twigged: 
The chorus, repeated many times, as most choruses are (by definition, I guess), but they alter what is going on underneath the chorus, so that it isn't always the same beat or feel - or dynamics, you might say - each time.  
Have a listen, you'll see what I mean. Sometimes, the chords ring out under the chorus, other times it is staccato. The drums change pretty much every time. 

It really gets away from the sense of an overly repetitive and formulaic verse-chorus-verse-chorus - middle 8 - chorus repeat ad infinitum thing. 

What are some of your favourite examples of little arrangement tricks that elevate a song above the sum of its parts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great song...and brings back some 90s memories ;)

Funnily enough, I was having a go at this month's 'Solo of the Month' and the vocal melody from that Gene album's opening track crept into my mind...if you're familiar, check out the second half of my effort here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/243128/voting-for-solo-of-the-month-sotm-91

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
    Love this song, they should have been massive 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    I'd forgotten them/that song until this post. They certainly had whatever 'it' is. Love it, shall seek out more. Cheers OP.
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    edited February 2023
    New Model Army’s Great Expectations has a final verse different from the others. The first couple of verses are pretty stark - edit, actually I won’t say any more, it’ll spoil it for first time listeners. Enjoy!

10:14 below:

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    @viz in 1983 I went to a great gig at the Lyceum in London. From the top and from memory the bands were headline act

The Gun Club
    Sisters Of Mercy
    Flesh For Lulu
    New Model Army
    Joolz

New model army are great, I saw them supporting Green On Red once. Justins guitar had a crackly lead/jack socket. He said "this is a Japanese made guitar, are there any Japanese in tonight"
    Cue several cheers, he just said bastards and went into Vengeance while the bass player with the clogs did his thing.

All of the above experiences were fairly life changing for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom