Toggle switch question

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
edited February 2023 in Making & Modding
On a three way toggle switch, the toggle activates the lug opposite to the direction it's been switched to right? For example, on a Les Paul with the switch up, that would activate the lug on the opposite side, which is connected to the neck volume pot...? That's what the mechanism appears to be doing but I wanted to be sure before soldering to the pots!

Toggle type; https://postimg.cc/5YHZF6B1

Also due to some ill judgement in soldering the wires to the switch itself in a slightly horizontal manner, it was a bit of a squeeze getting it into the hole without a bit of force, i.e putting a kink in the wiring.

How durable are these gavitt wires as I'm paranoid that I've compromised the connections slightly. I was thinking of resoldering with the wires pointing down but not unless it's necessary...what do you guys think? 

As for the rest of the wiring; not bad for a first attempt I reckon...

https://i.postimg.cc/W3HDxz97/IMG-20230226-015019.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    No - look at the way it works. The toggle pushes open the contact opposite to the direction it's pointing in, so turns that pickup off. The pickup you want active connects to the terminal on the same side as the toggle is pointing to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    How durable are these gavitt wires as I'm paranoid that I've compromised the connections slightly.
    The connections will be fine. What tends to fail first is the braid. Repeated bending and/or friction against sharp cavity edges can fray the individual steel strands.

On my LP Junior Special, for the selector switch to controls run, Gibson used multi-core + drain shield cable. I "borrowed" the idea when I upgraded a Höhner L60, employing the sort of 4-con + drain cable associated with humbucking pickups. (The green wire doubles up with the bare ground.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    You managed to get nice neat and shiny solder connections to the pots, which is really good for a first attempt.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited February 2023
    ICBM said:
    No - look at the way it works. The toggle pushes open the contact opposite to the direction it's pointing in, so turns that pickup off. The pickup you want active connects to the terminal on the same side as the toggle is pointing to.
    Ah ok thank you 

@BillDL Good to know...I did practice quite a bit soldering the old pots which helped
    edited February 2023
    Deleted
    edited February 2023
    Deleted. Sorted