Simple but fun weird 12th fret phenomenon?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
So I thought the 12th fret was exactly halfway between nut and bridge,

and that the note plucked was an octave higher than the open string. 
 So you should in theory get the same pitch note whichever side of the 12th fret you pluck the string …

but what happens if (with string held down at the 12th fret) instead you pluck the string on the nut side of the string rather than the bridge side …..?

well it caught me out for 10 mins at least :)  thought I was going mad, that the tech had set the intonation up madly wrong, and had to check 3 guitars to get the same thing.
Then it dawned on me - doh! 
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    13th!
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    "The 13th fret" would be a good title for a borderline-unwatchable guitar-themed horror film. Sadly they already made it, and called it Crossroads. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    Sporky said:
    "The 13th fret" would be a good title for a borderline-unwatchable guitar-themed horror film. Sadly they already made it, and called it Crossroads. 
    Benny and Miss Diane playing the blues?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Nothing to fret about...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Well it s more that you end up plucking 11th fret because your finger is between the 11th and 12th fret and so it’s a semitone higher plucking on the left side (looking down for right gander) than plucking on the right side 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom