RIP David Lindley

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2355
Just seen this news on Facebook. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Oh no! Awful news. A truly wonderful player. RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1594
    If it had strings on he could play it. Such a talented player. I only became aware of him last year when I heard Jackson Brownes “These Days” for the first time. His slide playing on that is superlative, wonderfully melodic. RIP.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6115
    Christ, not another one gone.  :'(
    He was an amazing player. I first heard him when he was playing with Jackson Brown. He had such a deft touch.
    The grim reaper really is out there harvesting the finest of musicians this year.
    RIP.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited March 2023
    I’d never heard of him until I saw him playing in a duo with Ry Cooder at the Festival Hall. I was hoping RC would have a full backing band and was a bit miffed when just the two of them wandered onstage, but it was a mesmerising evening. RIP. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    boogieman said:
    I’d never heard of him until I saw him playing in a duo with Ry Cooder at the Festival Hall. I was hoping RC would have a full backing band and was a bit miffed when just the two of them wandered onstage, but it was a mesmerising evening. RIP. 

This.  I saw the two of them somewhere - Hammersmith/Earls Court/Wembley Arena ? - and apart from it being stupidly hot in the venue, it was a brilliant evening.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    rlw said:
    boogieman said:

This.  I saw the two of them somewhere - Hammersmith/Earls Court/Wembley Arena ? - and apart from it being stupidly hot in the venue, it was a brilliant evening.

I'm certain I saw him and Ry at Hammersmith and it was as you say a brilliant evening.  I've never seen so many assorted guitars and various string instruments on stage. He was an excellent foil for Cooder; there was a 2CD set on Lindleys website which you can still get on Amazon.

Definitely one of the greatest pickers of any era.
    R.I.P.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Those were the days..
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    jdgm said:
    rlw said:
    boogieman said:

I'm certain I saw him and Ry at Hammersmith and it was as you say a brilliant evening.  I've never seen so many assorted guitars and various string instruments on stage. He was an excellent foil for Cooder; there was a 2CD set on Lindleys website which you can still get on Amazon.

Definitely one of the greatest pickers of any era.
    R.I.P.
    Hmmm, could’ve been Hammersmith I guess, I did go there regularly too. 
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    Nice tribute from Henry Kaiser - includes some great playing from Lindley:

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don’t know loads of his work, but from what I’ve seen and heard, he’s one of my favourite players..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    One of the all time greats.

El-Rayo is still in constant rotation for me.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11696
    That's very sad.  Mercury Blues in particular is a fantastic track.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Very Greasy is a blast. RIP