Camel - Why Do I do It?

What's Hot
Have to ration myself to listening to "Ice" from "I Can See Your House From Here" to only two or three times a year. Has me in tears every time, it's just so damn intense.

Need to listen to some Judge Dread to cheer myself up now.

They don't want your name, they just want your number.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Hmmnnn .... I have that album but I've never gotten into it. I shall give that track a spin (if I can find it!)

A GREAT Camel track - For Today, from a nod and a wink. Beautiful solo with a strong Gilmour influence but still very 'Camel'
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Great track ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Andy Latimer, criminally underrated player, great tone and note choice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He's one of my favourite guitarists, has been since 1974.

Ice is truly beautiful. But so are a lot of the other things he's done, from Lady Fantasy (Mirage) to Long Goodbyes (Stationary Traveller).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Saw Camel a few times back in the 70s. Great band.

• I think I have seen more Camel gigs than gigs of any other band
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always remember one solo Andy did on the album Nude. Awesome and full of emotion. I think it was 'Lies'
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6421
    Saw Camel on the Snow Goose tour in the 1970s, and at the gig my eyes were a bit moist - my mate noticed, and reminded me on Saturday (to try and embarrass me, he didn't).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I think I have seen more Camel gigs than gigs of any other band
    Saw them on the Moon madness tour ... shame about Pete Bardens .. is Andy Ward still going?

• Andy Ward hasn't played for Camel since Nude (and I'd have to check my facts on that, but it was around that time when he stopped playing for them). AFAIK he damaged his wrists in an unsuccessful suicide attempt and hasn't played much since. Not a nice story, and there's little detail been published. It's a shame 'cos he was a most excellent drummer. And as you say, it is also a shame about Pete Bardens, he was also an excellent musician. I was also sorry when Doug Ferguson quit. I liked his bass lines.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I've loved Camel since i started listening to music seriously in the mid 80's,  it took until march this year before I finally saw them play live and if they tour again I'll make sure I see them again.  

imo, Andy Latimer should be a household name like JB and DG!
    Andy Ward hasn't played for Camel since Nude (and I'd have to check my facts on that, but it was around that time when he stopped playing for them). AFAIK he damaged his wrists in an unsuccessful suicide attempt and hasn't played much since. Not a nice story, and there's little detail been published. It's a shame 'cos he was a most excellent drummer. And as you say, it is also a shame about Pete Bardens, he was also an excellent musician. I was also sorry when Doug Ferguson quit. I liked his bass lines.
    Andy Ward was Marilion's drummer for a while .. you can see him on the early videos. Unfortunately drink got the better of him .. sad story.

• Fretwired said:
    Andy Ward was Marilion's drummer for a while .. you can see him on the early videos. Unfortunately drink got the better of him .. sad story.
    YLSNED 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Fretwired said:
    Andy Ward hasn't played for Camel since Nude (and I'd have to check my facts on that, but it was around that time when he stopped playing for them). AFAIK he damaged his wrists in an unsuccessful suicide attempt and hasn't played much since. Not a nice story, and there's little detail been published. It's a shame 'cos he was a most excellent drummer. And as you say, it is also a shame about Pete Bardens, he was also an excellent musician. I was also sorry when Doug Ferguson quit. I liked his bass lines.
    I think that the only one he was on was Garden party? I could be wrong. When Marillion sacked Mick Pointer I was very disappointed, having been a big fan of the band from pre-record deal days. When Andy came in he seemed like an ideal replacement, once again, disappointing that it didn't work out. Ian Moseley came in next and I have to say that I never warmed to him.
    axisus said:
    Fretwired said:
    I think that the only one he was on was Garden party? I could be wrong. When Marillion sacked Mick Pointer I was very disappointed, having been a big fan of the band from pre-record deal days. When Andy came in he seemed like an ideal replacement, once again, disappointing that it didn't work out. Ian Moseley came in next and I have to say that I never warmed to him.
    Andy actually played with the band for three months - I think he's in a few videos and played on a couple of live recordings but no albums. He was in fact replaced by John Martyr and later by Jonathan Mover - Marillion went through a few drummers. Ian Mosley joined Marillion from Dutch prog rock band Trace.

• The last Camel LP Andy Ward played on was I can see your house from here, it wasn't Nude. Nude was postponed partly because of Andy's problems. Facts checked on www.camelproductions.com