Janky Tape Echo

Tape Echo Build Guide | Indifferent Engine

I've just seen a link to this posted elsewhere, and I'm quite tempted, but I've not really got the time to build one from scratch.
If anybody is interested in building one, I'd be willing to do all the 3D printing as long as I could borrow the finished article for a couple weeks to have a play with it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    I bookmarked this post at a busy time and came back to it today. I like the idea but it seems you need a broad skill set to tackle the build. I'd be cool with the soldering, but as well as 3D printing and JST header crimping, it wouldn't hurt to know a bit about Arduino.

Also, looking at the bill of materials, the cost of the Mouser order alone would be £123. Unless you desperately want to build your own kit (and it is a lot of fun) you might be better off buying a used T Rex Replicator.

Here's the video anyway:

• m_cm_c Frets: 1274
    I never priced it up, but I wasn't expecting it to be a cheap build, although I didn't think the parts bill would add up to quite that much.

JST crimping is fairly easy with some suitable crimping pliers, but again they're additional cost if you'd only ever use them on this project.

I never realised it used an Arduino, but I do have a couple Nano IoTs kicking around unused.
    Arduino programming isn't that hard using the Arduino IDE, and having had a quick look over the supplied code, it is fairly simple to change settings.

My offer to do the 3D printing still stands, and if needed and somebody can tell me what's needed, I could do the JST crimping. I'll likely have all the required JST connectors anyway (they're one of two common connectors used for 3D printers).