robertyroberty Frets: 10915
Some serious picking occurring here

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 337
    magnificent ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    Their problem is that nobody, apart from guitar nerds, has ever heard of them or their music. I am a guitar player of sorts and only ever listened to half a Molly Tuttle tune and even less Tommy Emmanuel. It simply doesn’t follow that playing to a high skill level makes good music or even interesting music. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    edited March 2023
    Rocker said:
    Their problem is that nobody, apart from guitar nerds, has ever heard of them or their music. I am a guitar player of sorts and only ever listened to half a Molly Tuttle tune and even less Tommy Emmanuel. It simply doesn’t follow that playing to a high skill level makes good music or even interesting music. 
    She won a Grammy for best bluegrass album and nomination for best new artist https://www.grammy.com/artists/molly-tuttle/52200
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    Rocker said:
    I am a guitar player of sorts and only ever listened to half a Molly Tuttle tune and even less Tommy Emmanuel. It simply doesn’t follow that playing to a high skill level makes good music or even interesting music. 
    I take your point – it's not very likely I'll choose to play a Molly Tuttle (and certainly not Tommy Emmanuel) album if I'm browsing Spotify to find something to listen to – but I saw her do a small gig by herself at The Lexington a few years ago and she was excellent and very entertaining. I think it is music best enjoyed in a live context.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5648
    Rocker said:
    Their problem is that nobody, apart from guitar nerds, has ever heard of them or their music.

LOL because

* a stellar career spanning more than 60 years
    * decades playing as a sideman to a who's who of prominent performers
    * finally going solo and racking up 4 platinum albums 
    * close to 70 years old and still touring worldwide to sold-out houses just because he loves playing

Your failure to listen to country music and know who the major players are is entirely down to you. It is not a reflection on the people who are successful at it. (I don't listen to much country either, though I make an exception for Tommy E.) 

As for Molly T, she is known to everyone who follows bluegrass (another genre you apparently do not like or follow). She sells records and pulls big crowds. 

In short, two very successful artists with big popular followings and plenty of name recognition.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That video has had a quarter of a million views in one week and the song has been playlisted on ABC country radio in Australia on high rotation. Tuttle has half a million monthly listeners on Spotify

You could say the same thing about any music, "the problem with rock music is that only people who like rock music like it", "the problem with jazz is that only people who like jazz like it"
    Good points and well made. 

However, ask anyone in your circle of acquaintances to name a song by either artist and he/she is likely to ask WHO? You are more likely to get a positive response if you asked for the name of a song by Ed Sheerin or Daniel O’Donnell. 

If Likes or Views on the internet count for anything, I give up. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

@Rocker I have never heard of Daniel O'Donnell
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5648
    Fair point @Rocker. :)

In my circle of acquaintances, I'd quite possibly get "Ed Who?" and certainly get "Daniel Who" (well, I've never heard of him). I  certainly couldn't name an Ed Sheeran song, I've never heard him play. (At least not that I know of. Possibly I would recognise the voice if I've heard on the car radio once or something.) Nearly everyone would know Tommy E. Molly T? Maybe not - bluegrass is not really much of a thing in this country.

But your point stands as my circle of acquaintances is narrow.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16396
    My son works for a venue and there are Dhesi/ Indian acts who can sell out 5,000 tickets in 5 minutes, their albums sell by the million and I've no idea who they are. Being a household name just depends on which household you live in.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Sheeran is really into this whole collaboration thing so it's probably only a matter of time before he releases some blue grass influenced R & B "featuring" Molly Tuttle and Billy Strings.  ;)
    Right guys, I am up for changing my mind if you can convince me to do so @Tannin , @roberty.

I have never liked solo guitar music. As I have said many times in the past, a guitar is an excellent backing instrument for a vocalist and it works well to add lead breaks for the song. Over the years I did try to listen to guitar music but gave up on this after listening to Surfing with the Aliens. The guitar as a musical instrument fails miserably when compared to a concert grand piano and IMHO is well behind the Uileann pipes too. I concede that it is better than a banjo but then almost anything is better than a banjo. 

So guys, pick your favourite TE and MT tunes and send me the links.  I promise to listen to them carefully and with an open mind. Can’t be much fairer than that. Over to you....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I'm not trying to convince you to like either of them @Rocker, I just refute that there's a "problem". I'm not into country music but I get a thrill from seeing them play, and in particular together

Tuttle just won a grammy for her album where she sings mostly her own songs, and a few traditional/covers, she cannot be categorised as instrumental guitar
    My only experience of hearing Molly Tuttle play was a podcast of an interview she did with one of the UK guitar magazines some time ago. Definitely highly skilled but what she played was total drivel. I hoped that you might correct this notion by giving an example of one of your favourite MT tracks. I may or may not like it but I am willing to give it a listen....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19399
    roberty said:
    Let me see... I'm not the one that posted the identical item to one posted 5 days earlier and you are being sarky with me?
    roberty said:
    Let me see... I'm not the one that posted the identical item to one posted 5 days earlier and you are being sarky with me?
    Steady on, I was poking fun at myself for making a duplicate post 

It's getting a bit aggy in here. Must be all the furious plucking 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19399
    edited March 2023
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

So sorry for the misunderstanding, English is my first language  B
    But yeah, easy to misinterpret stuff  ;)
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

So sorry for the misunderstanding, English is my first language  B
    But yeah, easy to misinterpret stuff  ;)
    Oh it's fine, language is my second language. My reply ought to have started with the word "I'm"