Thumb position

What's Hot
I noticed its hard to keep my thumb in just one position for playing solo like in the middle on the neck , so is this normal or should i be training my thumb to stay in the middle at all times,  the problem is when i am playing solo like alternate picking or legato or fast shredding single notes my thumb is in the middle but its when i start adding string  bends my hand wants to go around the neck with my thumb at the top . so its not ideal when you have a mix of fast shredding with single notes then string bends together . 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1866
    I picked up barre chords in my playing very quickly but I only have small hands. 'What has this got to do with the price of fish' you ask? Well because of my small hands I cannot do big stretches,unless I position my thumb level with my second finger,rather than my index finger,as taught in traditional barre chord or regular playing. I also cannot use my thumb to mute the low E string in chords such as open D,F etc. 'Well,what is your point you blithering idiot' you ask again? My point is,in my inexpert humble opinion is that I don't think there is necessarily a definite way that thumb position should be viewed. Find what is most comfortable/practical and works for you. I may be talking complete sh@t but that is my humble view and I will bow to more knowledgeable people here than me.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    There are no rules about thumb position. 
    guitarjack66 said: … Find what is most comfortable/practical and works for you...
    It’s about reach, and about minimising hand strain. As I get older I find myself playing more thumb over because it puts less strain on my arthritic fingers.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    edited March 2023
    I guess my question was maybe not put right and for more advanced players,   its mostly about lead guitar i have  noticed  i am more comfortable playing single notes like scales with the thumb in the middle but when including string bending i find it uncomfortable,  when string bending  i like my thumb by the low E string with my hand around the neck ,  the problem is you really can't  do both if the solo includes playing single notes and string bends  together so i do have to pick one over the other in this case,   also  most people would say for example like playing  ACDC "back in black" solo with the thumb in the middle of the neck is just wrong  but  for me its more about picking one over the other .
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2771
    Thumb tip or pad ? ;)

as a mainly fingerstyle and classical guitarist, I find that my thumb positive rotates around the neck during a piece.  I also find that at times it is just exerting a very little force with the tip of the thumb. 

And for a couple of pieces / positions, it has hardly any pressure on the back of the neck (at which point I pull the guitar body into my belly with the inside of my right elbow as this takes a lot of pressure off the left hand fingers

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    I think my approach is a bit like EVH, but without his level of ability :) 

It's worth watching virtuoso players like that. The thumb position naturally shifts to suit what he's playing. Although he does have the advantage of big hands.

You'll also notice that low slung players like Nuno will lift the neck, or foot up on the monitor etc, to get the thumb at the back of the neck for big stretch stuff.

I think it is worth practicing keeping the thumb at the back of the neck, so you can use it when you need.

It's not a competition.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    You need to get an enormous pair of hands like Juan Dhas, his little finger is so long, it's Unbelievable.:)

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1866
    GuyBoden said:
    You need to get an enormous pair of hands like Juan Dhas, his little finger is so long, it's Unbelievable.:)

His fingers are just very far away!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    When I first started I was taught to keep it in the middle. 

Years later doing my own thing, I realised it’s pointless. 

My thumb moves freely depending. Sometimes its up real high overhanging the board, sometimes in the middle. 
    Sometimes the pad is touching the neck, sometimes its more like the side of the thumb. Sometimes it’s straight, some times it’s bent. 

Cowboy chords its up high. Solo-y stuff its middle, bends its again wrapped real high up, barre chords I think it’s fairly middle again. 

Also depends on whether I’m seated or standing. 

Like the fretting fingers, it will automatically and easily move to where it is needed once you figure out where your digits need to be for what you’re playing. 

I think it is just practice. Don’t focus on the thumb or its position though. If you only try and keep it in one position it will unnecessarily limit you. All it needs to do is enable the fretting fingers to go where they need. 

If youre playing solo stuff that has bends in it, just focus on playing the whole thing or section slow, but let the thumb move, it might be slow inaccurate work for a while but eventually you should be quick enough in moving everything where it needs to be. 

Then you can never have to give a care about it again!

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom