The Book Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• The Apollo Murders is a great read if you like a bit of James Bond Cold War mixed with real life, written by real life astronaut Chris Hadfield.

CJ Sansom Shardlake Series is a really good Morse in Tudor England type read.

Currently re reading the Stella Rimmington Liz Carlyle books, great penny dreadfulls !
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    The Apollo Murders is a great read if you like a bit of James Bond Cold War mixed with real life, written by real life astronaut Chris Hadfield.

Currently re reading the Stella Rimmington Liz Carlyle books, great penny dreadfulls !
    I really liked the early Shardlake books, but I thought the last one was pants! Far too long and wordy and the plot wasn’t that great. If you like historical fiction Ken Follet’s Kingsbridge books (Pillars of the Earth etc) are an easy read and pretty decent, if a little bit formulaic after the first couple. 
  • boogieman said:
    The Apollo Murders is a great read if you like a bit of James Bond Cold War mixed with real life, written by real life astronaut Chris Hadfield.

I really liked the early Shardlake books, but I thought the last one was pants! Far too long and wordy and the plot wasn’t that great. If you like historical fiction Ken Follet’s Kingsbridge books (Pillars of the Earth etc) are an easy read and pretty decent, if a little bit formulaic after the first couple. 
    Agree with you on the Shardlake books, the last one could have been half as long. However Dark Fire and Revelation were standout.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    Wildcard pick: Forsythe’s The Day of the Jackal

I just started The Balkan Trilogy, which I am liking.

Hard to go wrong with Kafka, Camus, etc.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19795
    boogieman said:

Agree with you on the Shardlake books, the last one could have been half as long. However Dark Fire and Revelation were standout.
    BBC did very fair dramatic adaptations of the Shardlake books  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09kw69t/episodes/guide
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    ennspek said:
    boogieman said:
    Didn’t we already have a “what are you reading” thread? Probably long buried now. 
    Probably. I searched books (because I'm basic) and only guitar books showed up. Apologies if this is a duplicate.
    There have been quite a few, but this was the big thread:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/8917/

I'm reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

In fact I've been reading Wilkie Collins for at least the last year, the only other book I've read was Bob Mortimer's autobiography.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    boogieman said:

BBC did very fair dramatic adaptations of the Shardlake books  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09kw69t/episodes/guide
    Oh cool! I didn’t know about those. Ta  ;)
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 784
    I’m reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. 

I don’t usually do westerns but this is a good read, long though at 900+ pages 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28356
    Very pleased to find another Nikki Sixx book recently. I'm not a fan of the music, but all the bands books are a great read.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 780
    Reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy at present, having a bit of a binge on his work since reading The Ministry For The Future.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Hardly off beat but I came to crime fiction late on in life and absolutely love the Rebus books by Rankin. They turned me into Morse, Dalziel etc.

Also currently enjoying the Slough House series.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7967

Dead Country - Max Gladstone.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    I’ve been reading Siddartha by Herman Hess  about Siddartha the Buddha 
      As I like Buddhism but It’s not particularly enlightening he went from being a privileged rich man to an ascetic holy man then had a brief fling with earning money and seeing a hottie , now he’s gone to live by the river with an old ferryman . I class myself as a Buddhist & do my best to follow the middle path . Krishna sounds interesting too a friend used to tell me bits of his stories 
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 872
    Guy Pratt - My Bass and other animals.
    It’s hilarious, interesting and so far, a who’s who of the 80’s music scene.
    After this I’ve got Rob Burrow’s book lined up, then Dave Grohl.
    Just noticed Stephen King's son has published a novel. Apparently it's quite good.
    edited March 2023
    ennspek said:
    Just noticed Stephen King's son has published a novel. Apparently it's quite good.
    Which one?  He's got two sons who are both writers. Joe Hill has written many short stories, novels and comics.  Owen King isn't so widely published but I think he might be the one with a recent novel.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Philly_Q said:
    ennspek said:
    Which one?  He's got two sons who are both writers. Joe Hill has written many short stories, novels and comics.  Owen King isn't so widely published but I think he might be the one with a recent novel.
    Owen King’s new one is called The Curator, I believe. 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    ennspek said:
    Owen King’s new one is called The Curator, I believe. 
    That's the one I was referring to. I didn't know about the other one.
    Dead Lions - Mick Herron. Second of the Slough House series. More MI5 shenanigans, thoroughly enjoyable.