Tremel-no experiences?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4507
edited March 2023 in Making & Modding
*Ignore* I found @fretmeister 's old question and found out all I need to know!!

Thinking of one of these for a FR equipped guitar. Anyone got any first hand experience? Happy with performance, do they affect the normal performance of the trem in any way when they're in the "bypass" setting?

Alternatively has anything else come up that does the same but better, I know they've been around a while.

Any and all input welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Just in case anyone else follows up on it...

Awful things. Virtually impossible to make work reliably without slipping, clunking or rattling, and not quite well-enough engineered - the threads in the thumbwheel holes can strip, and sometimes the hinges bind which causes tuning trouble.

*Any* of the other similar devices works better in my opinion - even the original Trem-Setter, which admittedly is a pig to fit and set up, but once finally done actually works very well.

If you want it to simply stop detuning when using Drop D or if a string breaks, any of the simple 'backstop' devices works... even the door bolt one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    At the risk of repeating what I posted in other threads, the only worthwhile use I have found for the Tremol-No device is as a means of blocking off troublesome vibrato bridges

The primary example of this was a Yamaha YSG (pre-PRS) guitar. Its vibrato design is wilfully awkward to adjust. It includes a Jaguar-esque "lock stop" component but only at one corner. This arrangement allows the other corner to sag into the back rout cavity.

The sustain block on this vibrato design does not lend itself to easy blocking with wooden blocks. I know of no aftermarket replacement vibrato that fits this clunker.

The Tremol-No clamps the Yamaha vibrato in position from within the spring cavity. Tighten up all of the thumbwheels and you are good to go. I would still periodically check that everything was firmly tightened.

At the time of this writing, I have an elderly Charvel Model 3 with the Kahler 2550 fulcrum vibrato. This has badly worn pivot screws. The Tremol-No is locking the vibrato off until I get around to installing two NOS pivots.

The convertible aspect of the Tremol-No emphasised in the product publicity is a complete joke.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.