Seeking advice for removing scratches from newly levelled & crowned fret tops

What's Hot
I’m curious how people approach getting the scratches out of the very tops of frets, after crowning and levelling.

After getting to the “very thin line of sharpie remaining” part of the crowning process, using a Z file, I then use micro mesh pad-sticks, 400, 800, 1000, 2000 in sequence on the sides, to get rid of those scratches/file marks, and to bring back the curves. Those work great.

On to the tops, there are sanding scratches from the levelling process that remain under the sharpie line.

How do you tend to deal with these, without undoing the levelling process by taking too much off?

I’m using 320 grit on the levelling beam, I wondered about doing a final pass with a much higher grit before moving on to crowning. 

They’re not massive scratches, but it’s enough to feel a graze when you bend a string, but I’d really like to bring the tops back to the same smoothness of the sides.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    You have to remove the scratches at each stage with an abrasive coarse enough for the job.

I use a strip on P800 grit "wet or dry" paper on a fingertip rubbed along the length of the fret until the scratches are gone, before moving on to micromesh. 

Just sanding out the scratches won't remove a significant amount o height from the frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    You need to sand along the frets, not along the neck. Then finish with metal polish of some sort. (Mask the fingerboard.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I've always gone along the neck. 

800g wet and dry, then micromesh through the grits from 1500 to 12000g using one of the hard foam micromesh sanding blocks.  I then use a fine buffing compound to finish them off

It can be a problem going along the neck if you skip grits or don't go high enough, it will feel gritty when bending
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom