More Mod Rock

What's Hot
LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 163
A few years ago I was at a bar in Manchester that used to put on a great variety of eclectic music in the room upstairs. One time I was up there and heard a DJ play some fantastic music that I'd never heard before. It all sounded like early Who. When the DJ wasn't busy I asked him what it was and he proceeded to tell me about the multitude of Mod Rock bands from the 60s that were less well known that The Who but had some great music, the whole night was dedicated these artists. He shouted the names of some of the bands to check out. Unfortunately, I'm not the best at retaining verbal information even when I'm sober so this was well lost after a few pints. Does anyone on the forum know some of the bands he might have been playing?
My trading feedback thread
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1200
    The Action was one of the best known also-rans. Check them out on YouTube playing live on Beat Club. The guitarist was using a violin bow on Gibsons long before Jimmy Page. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16396
    edited March 2023
    The Action was one of the best known also-rans. Check them out on YouTube playing live on Beat Club. The guitarist was using a violin bow on Gibsons long before Jimmy Page. 
    I think that’s The Creation. Possibly best known these days for the theme tune to The Great Pottery Throwdown. Certainly quite similar to The Who. 

Edit : the violin bow stuff was The Creation and they could be mistaken for The Who. The Action were also a mod band , apparently Phil Collins favourite band when he was a yoof. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11767
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1200
    I think that’s The Creation. Possibly best known these days for the theme tune to The Great Pottery Throwdown. Certainly quite similar to The Who. 

Edit : the violin bow stuff was The Creation and they could be mistaken for The Who. The Action were also a mod band , apparently Phil Collins favourite band when he was a yoof. 
    Thanks for the correction @EricTheWeary. The old memory ain't what it used to be.

Thanks for the correction @EricTheWeary. The old memory ain't what it used to be.
    I only know about The Creation because when I watched Pottery Throwdown I thought it must be The Who and so looked it up. They also did the original of Painter Man. Many years ago Bernie Torme did a version and I thought it was very odd that he was covering Boney M but it turned out he liked the wild guitar stuff of the original. 

The 70s/80s mod revival seemed to have had more bands than the original mod scene ever did. I guess a lot of the original 60s mods were interested in US soul and Jamaican ska rather than the rockier sounds of The Who,etc. 
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 163
    Brilliant, thanks very much for the suggestions. This will give me plenty of listening material for work tomorrow!  :)
    My trading feedback thread
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    I will risk embarrassment by not Googling this first, but the guitarist in The Creation... was it Eddie Phillips?  I wonder what he went on to do?
    Philly_Q said:
    I will risk embarrassment by not Googling this first, but the guitarist in The Creation... was it Eddie Phillips?  I wonder what he went on to do?
    He seems to have gone between music and bus driving. I think there’s still an audience for his current version of The Creation on the mod circuit. If he still gets the royalties then Painter Man and Making Time will pay for his Christmas shopping. 
    For pottery fans…

https://youtu.be/Tl7T5GCfEL0
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    He's still around then?  That's good to know.

Would Love Sculpture, with a young Dave Edmunds, come into this discussion?  Not Mods, but not a million miles from The Creation.
    Philly_Q said:
    He's still around then?  That's good to know.

Would Love Sculpture, with a young Dave Edmunds, come into this discussion?  Not Mods, but not a million miles from The Creation.
    Yeh it’s sort of psychedelic/ art rock as well. Without rereading several wiki pages when Dave was in Rockpile they did a The Creation cover so maybe there’s a link somewhere. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4307
    What about that band Ron wood was in 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4307
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom