Dick Fosbury - Olympic Athlete

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14259
in Tributes tFB Trader
The Olympic athlete who gave us the Fosbury Flop, Dick Fosbury has died, aged 76 - At the Mexico games in 1968 he set a new record at a height of 2.24 metres - He created a new form of a jump named after him and to a degree many footballers have perfected this style ever since - Many might have heard of the Fosbury Flop but not necessarily knew there was a man behind it 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    He was a clue on Only Connect around the time that his passing was announced. 
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I doubt that anyone ever has revolutionised their sport as much as Dick did. It must have been insane to see him first jump like that! Literally no-one has used any of the other four traditional jumps for decades. Actually it looks really weird if you look up scissors or straddle jumps now! (I cant remember the other two)

Actually I just found a really good 4 minute video about him if anyone is interested:

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    RIP. 
    I saw that.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    octatonic said:
    RIP. 
    I saw that.
    It won’t be of much comfort to his loved ones but he did provide me with one of the few points I got last night. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Very very few people revolutionise their chosen sport/whatever in the way he did. To think, “There must be a better way..” and then to come up with it.. wow!.. 
    Authentic legend!
    RIP
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    You've taught me that Dick Fosbury was much younger than I thought. I had filed away his innovation as being around 10 years earlier than it was, so thank you.

It also cemented the professionalisation of High Jump cos you definitely needed a padded landing area to do it.

RIP
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 2023
    I remember him at school PE classes, always mucking about,  teacher told him straight "you'll be for the high jump sonny"

from the same era,  my hero was Bob Beamon,   being a long jumper meself
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Revolutionised the High Jump, RIP.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Pretty sad that his great achievement was ultimately a flop
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom