Pedal builds (aka Birthday Kit-AS)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I love these threads and am going to grow a pair and order a fewe kits...
    Anybody built one of the bitsbox clones?
    Do they sound good? / Easy enough for a noob? 
    Cheers....

(Really want a deep blue delay clone plus a klon!)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27290
    The bitsbox ones are on vero, rather than PCBs, which is fine, but an extra step more complicated if you're a noob. If you've soldered before and are happy drilling & jumpering the vero then they'd be fine I'm sure. 

If you're worried I'd start with something simple like the pedalparts Blaster or Boner boosts - one pot attached to the board and only a handful of components. Always good to get a bit of confidence with something cheap and small, then you'll realise that the process is the same for huge builds, just with more soldering. And with all these things, double and triple check your components are in the right places before soldering. I find I mis-read resistors codes and that's always the thing I cock up on if I'm going to :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    edited October 2013
    I cant delete this post aaargh !
    Flown the nest .
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    juansolo said:
    I do warn you though, it's a bit addictive :)

When you start getting away from kits, make yourself something like this:

What that'll allow you to do is test circuits before you box them. In the pic it has spring clip terminals, I've since swapped it to connector block as the clips broke through use. It'll make your life massively easier.

Or you can insert and solder these to the main board and use bell wire instead of multi strand wire . If theres something up with the board you just pull out the wires .

Flown the nest .
  • Thanks sticky fiddle.. I'll learn to crawl before I challenge Bolt to a race ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life