SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS Fender Jason Smith Masterbuild Shell Pink '56 Strat and Fender Custom Shop 1954 Telecaster SOLD

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 788
    What this has highlighted to me is the issues in buying and selling "relic" guitars.
    In future i will put a disclaimer on all my "relic" guitar listings, something along the lines of "any marks on this guitar are either factory or post factory and i have no idea which is which" or just list them as fender CS damaged.

I have a masterbuilt strat listed on this thread, how am i to know which marks are factory and which are post factory?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    edited March 2023
    JGC said:

In the case of that guitar it's so heavily reliced that some extra wear and tear doesn't really mean anything ( to me at least ), but I see your point, although if no one had access to before and after pictures would anyone be the wiser ?

Depends on the wear. Most of the time I agree with you and would suggest it’s no issue at all. It’s actually one of the benefits of owning a relic guitar in my opinion as you can gig it and generally be less precious about it as a few extra marks don’t matter. However, when the damage is some very unnatural looking gouge marks deep into the wood and has resulted in loose paint flaking off the guitar’s finish, exposing bare wood underneath, I would draw the line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hyperben said:
    JGC said:

In the case of that guitar it's so heavily reliced that some extra wear and tear doesn't really mean anything ( to me at least ), but I see your point, although if no one had access to before and after pictures would anyone be the wiser ?

Depends on the wear. Most of the time I agree with you and would suggest it’s no issue at all. It’s actually one of the benefits of owning a relic guitar in my opinion as you can gig it and generally be less precious about it as a few extra marks don’t matter. However, when the damage is some very unnatural looking gouge marks deep into the wood and has resulted in loose paint flaking off the guitar’s finish, exposing bear wood underneath, I would draw the line.
    Yeah defo wouldn't want any bare wood, flaked paint, or gouges showing on a heavy relic guitar, yuk, line crossed
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    adampeter said:
    hyperben said:
    JGC said:

Depends on the wear. Most of the time I agree with you and would suggest it’s no issue at all. It’s actually one of the benefits of owning a relic guitar in my opinion as you can gig it and generally be less precious about it as a few extra marks don’t matter. However, when the damage is some very unnatural looking gouge marks deep into the wood and has resulted in loose paint flaking off the guitar’s finish, exposing bear wood underneath, I would draw the line.
    Yeah defo wouldn't want any bare wood, flaked paint, or gouges showing on a heavy relic guitar, yuk, line crossed
    Absolutely right. Any damage which involves the finish actually loose and flapping, lifting off the guitar should be disclosed rather than hidden in the hope of getting top dollar. If buyers are aware they can make informed decisions, just like with headstock repairs etc.
    hyperben said:
    adampeter said:
    hyperben said:
    JGC said:

Absolutely right. Any damage which involves the finish actually loose and flapping, lifting off the guitar should be disclosed rather than hidden in the hope of getting top dollar. If buyers are aware they can make informed decisions, just like with headstock repairs etc.
    Truth
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1117
    Either way it looks a bloody cool tele 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm all set to deal with Adam on the tele tomorrow and I come home and log in to this!

• JGCJGC Frets: 159
    I'm all set to deal with Adam on the tele tomorrow and I come home and log in to this!

Just go for it, it's reliced, and looks awesome

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2496
    I'm all set to deal with Adam on the tele tomorrow and I come home and log in to this!

Well a zero frets buyer from LIncoln.....last time Rengerous chipped in on a Classified ad the guitar ended up for sale at Protone Music.....its actually still there, that oriange CS 50's Tele. Don't be shy....introduce yourself....you know how we love dealers lurking in the Classifieds on here. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:

Well a zero frets buyer from LIncoln.....last time Rengerous chipped in on a Classified ad the guitar ended up for sale at Protone Music.....its actually still there, that oriange CS 50's Tele. Don't be shy....introduce yourself....you know how we love dealers lurking in the Classifieds on here. 
    I don't know what your suggesting here. I'm looking for a tele, I joined the forum a bit back and asked about one and now this one. I don't have a guitar shop
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2496
    Well come and join in on other forum activity. Always looks suspect when relatively new members only post on classifieds. 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7543
    adampeter said:
    adampeter said:
    adampeter said:

It seems this guitars previous owner plus admin on the site may be concerned that the amount of "relic" this guitar displays now may differ from the amount of "relic" it left the factory with.
    The pictures listed are a mixture of both those from the original Fretboard advert i purchased the guitar from which was circa 2 years ago, and those i have taken myself plus a recent video detailing it as closely as possible.
    As i do not have pictures of it as it left the makers workbench i cannot confirm if all marks are factory and which are player wear and tear.

This is patently not true. The photos you've published show the back of the guitar both with and without the damage.
    What's not true Lee?, i haven't got pictures of it as it left the makers bench, only what the previous owner has given me.

You can confirm if all marks are factory, since you've published photos both with and without the damage. How did that damage appear on the guitar, if all of those photos were taken since it left the factory?
    How? i haven't owed it from new, it was 2 years old when i got it, only the maker can claim that, i can only highlight what has changed in those pictures i have, cant you be reasonable, jez
    I was talking specifically about the damage that was in dispute. Nobody was concerned about the amount of "relic". That part isn't "relic", the guitar is damaged.

Thank you for pointing this out. Such a close call. It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable to know that some scrote might have accidentally banged the guitar in to something rather than one of the artisans at Fender intentionally doing it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    Well come and join in on other forum activity. Always looks suspect when relatively new members only post on classifieds. 

Thankyou but I am literally here for the classifieds to buy a guitar
    edited March 2023
    Wow, this thread is really becoming silly, as Gary, Barry and Terry would say "calm down calm down"
    I can assure everyone @Regenerous is definitely not a dealer, just a really cool guy wanting to buy a tele.
    Anyway i'm off to my day job as an apprentice relic man ;;; Fender   

And the Tele has sold, thanks all

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JGCJGC Frets: 159
    Nice Tele for a good price I reckon...congrats on the sale.
  • adampeter said:
    Wow, this thread is really becoming silly, as Gary, Barry and Terry would say "calm down calm down"
    I can assure everyone @Regenerous is definitely not a dealer, just a really cool guy wanting to by a tele.
    Anyway i'm off to my day job as a apprentice relic man ; Fender   
    ;) 
     And the Tele has sold, thanks all

Nice to chat with you earlier Adam see you around on here no doubt