JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
Hesitant at first but a great listen. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    Check out from 17:00 for the story of recording Loan Me a Dime
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Check out his guitarist Drew Zingg, so good, Steely Dan hired him  :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14808
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Check out his guitarist Drew Zingg, so good, Steely Dan hired him  :)
    yes I've heard some nice stuff from him

I wouldn't put my self down as Boz Scaggs biggest fan and that isn't meant to be a negative comment - But I have 3/4 albums and enjoy them and always like his tracks as and when they crop up on R2 etc - I like his less is more approach to his solos and laid back vibe on many tracks as I do with the likes of JJ Cale
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    I was given his second solo LP as a gift a couple of years after it came out (1969) by my father. He picked up an Allman Bros album for me in New York and asked the guy behind the counter if there was anything else I might like, and the guy suggested Boz Scaggs; it's still one of my most loved records fifty years later. The link was Duane playing lead/slide on it but the record opened up a new world to me of the Muscle Shoals crew and turned me on to so many other great records.

Boz mentions the Muscle Shoals work method in the interview - they'd make a record in a week with Sundays off and Loan Me a Dime was knocked off in a final hour when they realised they had some free time while the truck was being loaded. No charts for the horns, two takes; done. That seems like a level of musicianship we're losing now by and large.

Scaggs comes across as a professor of the music, with an enormous knowledge and back catalogue going back to Sinatra, Bobby Bland and the Great American Songbook and a life spent touring and recording in the company of lifelong musicians dedicated to a craft. To a fouteen year old kid whose take on pop music was Bowie, Bolan and assorted 70's freaks, his second solo album opened up that new world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTFvAvsHC_Y