Clean boost for modded dsl 50

What's Hot
danbandanban Frets: 343
edited September 2014 in FX
Hi guys, I'm toying with the idea of getting some kind of tubescreamer or clean boost to drive the preamp stage on my dsl.

I used to do this when I owned a mesa triple rec however what I want to know is, is it worth it on the dsl or won't it work at all as I know some amps can be a pain doing this.

My amp currently has a c12 and choke mod.

Also what's the cheapest and most recommended?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    Boss SD1 maybe? They generally work pretty well with marshall-style amps, though I dunno if I've tried it with a 50 (and if I have it didn't have your mods).
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4811
    edited September 2014

Danban - Just wondering mate if this discussion might have been better aimed at the fx section rather than the guitar section to get best support from folk? 

I've a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 so I'll do my best to offer some help if I can.  If memory serves I think the C12/choke mod is to 'tighten up' the red distortion channel as a lot of folk find it gets muddy really quickly. I've heard amps with this mod but I find I get way better results by either 'jacking' the FX loop to give a boost and 'tighten' the amp, or (even better) inserting a simple 7-band stomp EQ in the FX loop - makes the amp sound stonking!

I'm not quite clear as to what you're trying to do - presumably your DSL still has the clean (green) and the 2 (amber and red) OD channels  -  so when you say 'drive the pre-amp stage' what exactly do you mean, and why would you think that an external pedal wouldn't work with your amp?  What I mean is, a boost or tubescreamer will work with any amp (although of course it will sound different depending on the amp).  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I used to use the MXR zw44 as a boost for my dsl, sounded great!
  • Got to say, I'm really partial to the Boo Boost - it's a really nice, smooth boost. Nowhere near as much low-end as the EHX LPB-1, and less sharp than the Carl Martin Hydra.

It also helps that it looks like it was hewn from a block of solid metal.
    <space for hire>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Depend on what you want.

Volume only MXR Micro amp in the loop.

Volume + grittier gain - Digitech Bad monkey

Volume + smoother gain - Boss SD-1

Others to consider are Digitech Hot Head, Boss DS1 MXR Zakk Wylde.

All work well with the DSL's, you alone can say what you want.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    I used to use a keeley mod SD-1 in front of my DSL 50, and found it to be excellent, I can't see the non-keeley version being much different in the way I used it (or you want to use it). Seems to be one of the great uses for the SD-1

I nearly forgot the MXR Distortion+ which tightens the low-end and puts a little extra on top as well as having more gain (pretty smooth) and volume.

@photek currently has mine. I want it back.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• danbandanban Frets: 343
    Cheers guys for the info, What I like doing is keeping the gains on the amp down and use the pedal as clean boost to drive the preamp side hotter before gain settings.

I used to do it to my old triple rec and it made the amp sound alot richer and full.

Basically giving it a more natural boost, settings wise I use the gain off, volume off and tone know to desired taste and permanently on.

Voxman said:

I'm not quite clear as to what you're trying to do - presumably your DSL still has the clean (green) and the 2 (amber and red) OD channels  -  so when you say 'drive the pre-amp stage' what exactly do you mean, and why would you think that an external pedal wouldn't work with your amp?  What I mean is, a boost or tubescreamer will work with any amp (although of course it will sound different depending on the amp).  

I had use of a blackstar for a while and it didn't like any type of boost in front of the amp or in the fx loop just made it sound like a turd.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1471
    mike_l said:

I nearly forgot the MXR Distortion+ which tightens the low-end and puts a little extra on top as well as having more gain (pretty smooth) and volume.

It does a lovely job into a just broken up amp as Mike says. Can be either a dark gain or a bright gain using the volume and gain. Very cool little box. @mike_l see you tonight ;)
    mike_l said:

Volume + grittier gain - Digitech Bad monkey

Volume + smoother gain - Boss SD-1

I'd have said a bad monkey was smoother than an SD1. But maybe that's just with my setup.
    mike_l said:

I thought it had the rep of having a bit too much bass when used as a boost, but that the bass is cut as the gain goes up (on the pedal)? That's what I was told elsewhere when I was asking about one.

Of course I ignored that and have one on the way anyway :))

@Dave_Mc the MXR D+ definately tightened the low end on the DSL. It also tightened when I tried it with a Mk1 Guv, and Hardwire tube overdrive.

I found the SD-1 was more like a Santana-esque boost and the Bad Monkey more gritty. Again, with the DSL, Guv and Hardwire.

Oh and you will love the Dist+ it's feckin awesomes. I prefer it as a lead boost, rather than a stand-alone dirt pedal. But that might just be me.

And Randy Rhoads used one.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    It's possible it's dependent on the amp too. To my ears and with my setup (plus the way I dial the thing in), the bad monkey is more in the tubescreamer vein whereas the SD1 (or I should say, my cheapo Daphon SD1 clone :)) ), while still in the same ballpark, has a bit more edge and fizz to the tone.

And yeah I figured I'd tried virtually all the other classic OD pedals, and Guitar Village had a dist+ in its sale just there for about as cheap as I've ever seen one (new), at a price which compares well with USA prices, so I figured it was worth a punt. I've been sort of hmming and hahing about one for a while. :D Thanks, that's comforting to know it's nice :D
  • darcym;365750" said:
    I used to use a keeley mod SD-1 in front of my DSL 50, and found it to be excellent, I can't see the non-keeley version being much different in the way I used it (or you want to use it). Seems to be one of the great uses for the SD-1
    The sd-1 into modern Marshall sound (ie jcm800 and ahead) is just such a great sound, and I prefer it over a tubescreamer despite the massive similarities. It just makes pinch harmonics jump right out in a way nothing else seems to.
  • A permanent on my board for ages has been an xotic rc boost, works great in the front end and the loop of my cornford roadhouse. I use it a a pure clean boost but it can add some gain if you want. I also have my amp set at break up and push it into overdrive with a Fredric effects zombie klone, keeping the gain on the pedal at 9 o'clock but pushing the output to 12 o'clock. Great punchy dynamic sound
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    darcym;365750" said:
    The sd-1 into modern Marshall sound (ie jcm800 and ahead) is just such a great sound, and I prefer it over a tubescreamer despite the massive similarities. It just makes pinch harmonics jump right out in a way nothing else seems to.

You truly must try a Hiwatt with a decent dist pedal into it....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Dave_Mc said:
    It's possible it's dependent on the amp too. To my ears and with my setup (plus the way I dial the thing in), the bad monkey is more in the tubescreamer vein whereas the SD1 (or I should say, my cheapo Daphon SD1 clone :)) ), while still in the same ballpark, has a bit more edge and fizz to the tone.

And yeah I figured I'd tried virtually all the other classic OD pedals, and Guitar Village had a dist+ in its sale just there for about as cheap as I've ever seen one (new), at a price which compares well with USA prices, so I figured it was worth a punt. I've been sort of hmming and hahing about one for a while. :D Thanks, that's comforting to know it's nice :D

Tone wise I've not noticed anything other than a tighter low-end and a slightly brighter top end when using the Dist+ as a lead boost. Certainly no mid-hump that's so apparent with tube screamers..

And certainly (into my DSL, with all pots set to around 2-3 o'clock) the BM is grittier than the SD-1. More Slayer to the SD-1 Santana.

Think I'm leaning towards an sd 1 :-)
  • Gassage;366399" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

darcym;365750" said:I used to use a keeley mod SD-1 in front of my DSL 50, and found it to be excellent, I can't see the non-keeley version being much different in the way I used it (or you want to use it). Seems to be one of the great uses for the SD-1

You truly must try a Hiwatt with a decent dist pedal into it....
    I know, but they're massive and expensive and that makes me sad. :(

But as my tonal reference points are the 5150/6505, the tweed bassman/jtm types, the dual rec and literally everything David Gilmour has been in the same room as, I do feel I need to try one of those old, immaculately wired clean machines one day. Just to say I did.

My playing wouldn't do it justice, mind. But it would be a very loud way of clearing a room :)
    mike_l said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Tone wise I've not noticed anything other than a tighter low-end and a slightly brighter top end when using the Dist+ as a lead boost. Certainly no mid-hump that's so apparent with tube screamers..

And certainly (into my DSL, with all pots set to around 2-3 o'clock) the BM is grittier than the SD-1. More Slayer to the SD-1 Santana.

Ah you set everything to 2-3 o'clock, do you? That might be it. I generally run the drive at zero on the BM, and slightly above zero on the sd1 clone (but with the level full up on both).

And thanks for the info on the dist+. Supposed to be coming tomorrow :D