U2 (Bono & The Edge) - The Tiny Desk Concert

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
edited March 2023 in Music
Not sure if this has been posted already...they've still got it...enjoyed this more than I thought I would.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    Yeah really great and fantastic to hear 4 from All That You Can't... 

The new SOS record is patchy for me but when they're good they're still up with the very best
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    Yeah really great and fantastic to hear 4 from All That You Can't... 

The new SOS record is patchy for me but when they're good they're still up with the very best
    I think ATYCLB is their last great album, sadly. It's 23 years old.

The live in Boston show from the Elevation tour is one of my faves.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 359
    Not sure if this has been posted already...they've still got it...enjoyed this more than I thought I would.
    I don't think I have ever seen a bad Tiny Desk concert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    The Disney documentary with Letterman is awful. Clearly for an American audience but Jesus it is terrible.

SOS is almost as bad. Just play the songs acoustically. No need for re-arrangements and Bono's awful obsession with changing lyrics. Horrific. Only a handful of good songs on there.

This Tiny Desk thing is really good.

I read somewhere else they are doing the planned Las Vegas thing and playing Achtung Baby in full but they are doing it with another drummer? Is Larry in that bad of a way?
    LPManic said:.

I read somewhere else they are doing the planned Las Vegas thing and playing Achtung Baby in full but they are doing it with another drummer? Is Larry in that bad of a way?
    Yep. Has had back problems on & off for 20 years and needs surgery. They have his blessing so my guess is they’ll be back with a Zoo TV tour in 2024, when Larry is either fully sorted or (god forbid) confirmed as out for good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6601
    edited March 2023
    Bono is on fine form as a frontman, but his voice needs the safety blanket of a big production these days, not the stripped-back acoustic approach.

ATYCLB must be the most overrated U2 album. Totally don’t get the love, nor the poor reception the last two albums received, but hey ho.

Edit: grumpiness aside, is Edge tuning down lower than Eb on some of these? I was singing along with Beautiful Day and it felt easier than usual.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1422
    I saw a trailer for the Disney doc, and from the clips I saw, it looked to be full of the usual suspects hanging around U2, some of whom would give you a pain in the hole to listen to, also looked to be soaked in paddywhackery as well. Unfortunately, a lot of folk lap that shite up, Americans especially, but not exclusively!
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    edited March 2023
    5 or 6 songs on No line on the Horizon are up there with best IMO. Didn’t think it at the time, but listing years later I enjoy those songs just as much as Achtung and Pop which are my faves. 

In a recent interview he mentioned they are working on, in his words, a full blown rock and roll album. I’d be chuffed if they hit the mark again and make a ripper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    That's great.
    Thanks for posting.
    Zoolooter said:
    5 or 6 songs on No line on the Horizon are up there with best IMO. Didn’t think it at the time, but listing years later I enjoy those songs just as much as Achtung and Pop which are my faves. 

In a recent interview he mentioned they are working on, in his words, a full blown rock and roll album. I’d be chuffed if they hit the mark again and make a ripper.
    Take Boots, I’ll Go Crazy, and Stand Up Comedy off No Line and it becomes a really great record. 

• I am not a fan of U2 at all - that is to say though it's impossible to be unaware of theme I haven't actively followed them or consumed their music. 

So as some on seeing U2 fresh (as much is thats possible) it strikes me that they evidently have lots of talent as song writers and musicians.  I guess you dont get to where they are  unless you have that nous for melody. I dont know their history in any detail but I can see they have some charisma - though the singer doesnt appear to lack confidence lol
  • PotentialDonkeyPotentialDonkey Frets: 25
    edited March 2023
    I’m not really sure what to make of the trend of bands re-recording their songs or classic albums. I was curious when I heard U2 had a new album coming. Then when I heard it was just new versions of their hits I didn’t bother any further.

I enjoy The Joshua Tree, and I also enjoy ATYCLB. But I just haven’t found what I’m looking for in the new album!
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1432
    What strikes me is the quality of that songwriting.
    Stuck In A Moment ..wow..! Some great chords in there ...

It's an Orange solid state amp the Edge is plugged into right (for the delay in Beautiful Day? Although looks like the acoustic soundhole's being mic'ed as well...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    LPManic said:
    The Disney documentary with Letterman is awful. Clearly for an American audience but Jesus it is terrible.

SOS is almost as bad. Just play the songs acoustically. No need for re-arrangements and Bono's awful obsession with changing lyrics. Horrific. Only a handful of good songs on there.

This Tiny Desk thing is really good.

Yes, they are playing a bunch of shows at the MSG Sphere when it opens later in the year. Actual dates to be confirmed as it is under construction. There are also plans to build another sphere in London but that’s being held up due to planning issues.
    The sphere sounds mind blowing and U2 felt that Achtung Baby would be perfect to work with the state of the art effects of the new sphere. They haven’t nailed down exactly what they are doing and knowing U2 they will still be figuring it out the night before. 

Zoo TV, which was the Achtung Baby tour, was state of the art and revolutionised concerts at the time so they will be planning something spectacular and special. I for one will be going out to Vegas for a few shows.

Larry is recovering from surgery to correct a number of issues caused by drumming over the years. The band have gone with Bram Van Den Berg (Dutch drummer) to take Larry’s drum stool for these shows at the Sphere. This decision wasn’t taken lightly and Larry has given his blessing.

In terms of SOS, I saw a number of the tracks performed by Bono, and a small ensemble, as part of his book tour last year. The songs worked perfectly for that type of intimate show.

The album has divided the U2 fan base for sure.
    I like 80% of it so am happy they did it plus it worked well for the Bono tour.