Humbucker Cover Swap

What's Hot
Is there anybody that can swap Humbucker pickup covers, and drill screw holes? I have these covers:

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/ARURTCVR-p/arulpc036.htm

I’m wanting them to look like this:

https://shop.guildguitars.com/product/guild-hb-1-neck-pickup-nickel/?v=e71bc9c013d9

Thank you!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    One problem with your suggestion is that the polepiece screw holes are normally made before the layers of electroplated finish are applied. Drilling after the plating stages is likely to end up looking scrappy.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Stevie_CStevie_C Frets: 8
    edited March 2023
    Good point! 

I think I can live with that though!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Stevie_C said:

I think I can live with that though!
    You would be surprised how awful it will look. The original holes are stamped not drilled, which produces a slight radius on the edge which is then plated over. Drilling holes in an already-plated cover won't look like that even in the unlikely event that you can do it cleanly without the plating flaking around the edges.

Better just to buy the right pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the info
    :(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(.

I did try it once - luckily not on expensive covers - and the result was horrible. I forgot to mention that the flaking plating around the holes is razor sharp - or more accurately surgical scalpel sharp - and seriously dangerous to your fingertips too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    In the interests of balance, I offer good news. 

Somewhere, amongst the Fretboard community, there must be somebody sick enough to want to conceal a DiMarzio X2N humbucker on a Guild-inspired self-build project guitar. 

Offer your AxesRUs covers for sale or exchange. Somebody would probably take you up on it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Industrial laser or waterjet 'might' possibly give the holes that you want, but that would involve a major, costly effort with no guarantee of a successful result. Others here have given the best advice on how to proceed :+1: