Rest in peace, my pal Sean Kelly

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338

Sadly my pal Sean lost his battle against a brain tumour, although he battled it with amazing grace and composure for some years. I don’t think that Sean would be known by many, if any here, but he did have the closest of flirtations with musical success many years ago.

His band started in 87 and was called The Surfing Brides (originally The Surfing Brides of Christ), and they played gigs, toured and released an album. Things almost worked out for them, but not quite. I suppose that highlights would have been supporting Simple Minds in Europe and also at Wembley.

Sean played guitar, sang and wrote songs. Honestly, he was the most relaxed, down to earth and humble guy I have ever met. Despite having the most invasive surgery imaginable on several occasions, he remained the same calm, chilled, lovely person.

I have dug out a couple of video from Youtube showing the band back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So0Zsb9yV-0

This video is a bit more representative of Sean as I knew him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9hysjJ-nU4

I met Sean I guess about 6 years ago when we both went to the early lane swimming at Barnet. He was someone that I instantly got on really well with, particularly when we found out that we were both guitarists. He had a nice collection of ‘classic’ guitars, and was such an un-egotistical person. I had probably known him for a year before he even mentioned that he played at Wembley! (I had asked him what his best moment was with his band).

Sometimes you meet someone later in life and wish that you had known them for years, Sean was absolutely one of those people. The cruelty of life was that his condition moved him far away from me, and then with the pandemic and shielding as well we just didn’t get to see each other much over the past 3 years. It was mostly just WhatsApp messaging.

I last saw him about 3 weeks ago in a hospice. He was not in a good way at all and could barely speak. You never want a friend to go, but at the same time you don’t want someone to hang on too long like that.

Rest in Peace Sean, you will be much missed by many.

Sean in younger days! Second from left.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments