Helix HXFX with no pre-amp?

What's Hot
smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
edited March 2023 in Digital & Modelling

I know the HXFX has no amp modelling - but was wondering if anyone has had success running one of its distortions/drives straight into a power amp without an intervening pre-amp? I'm not interested in esoteric pre-amp distortion sounds - I just want a satisfying clean-to-breakup type sound. I've tried running the HXFX RAT on very low gain settings straight into a class D power amp/speaker, and this seems to sound pretty OK at home volumes with a bit of appropriate EQ. But I'd be interested if anyone has experience of doing this sort of thing at gig level....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I do this sometimes with my HXFX. Low gain OD straight into power amp of my Marshall Valvestate. But I also add an EQ on the chain after the OD just to add flavour, like a real preamp does. Sounds great as a base sound. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4212
    One would imagine it’s do able , especially clean  remembering how lots of big players often would plug straight into a desk . I know you’re not interested in a pre amp but the joyo American provides various fender tones and has a cab sim built in & is super cheap & highly thought of . It would be ideal & has a small footprint & can be powered by a 9v battery or dc
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    A bit different but may give you and idea. We do weekly live streams on our Facebook and YouTube pages. Last week I did one on using a preamp and hxfx to go direct. There was a bit in there where I use just regular pedals. Might be worth a look even though it’s about going direct. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
    edited March 2023
    Thanks all - nice to hear that it may not a totally crazy thing to expect results from! I'll have a look at that video, @rossyamaha .

@hollywoodrox - I do already have a Joyo American actually and like it a lot. It's just that I'm aiming here for a really cut-down and simple set up.

I'll play a bit more and see how good I can get it. Then I'll take it to a band practice and see how it goes there.

In the meantime, anyone else have any experience or thoughts on this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 762
    edited March 2023
    I might have a mess with this too. There is a full preamp for heavier tones called the Legacy drive I think - really flexible. I'd be messing with a compressor and a Temmah! Or EP Boost to try and get a decent clean tone I think.

I'm sure it got mentioned at some point, but having the option of JUST a Fender Twin helix model and appropriate IR (which the HX can already do) to go direct with would be really cool, even as a back up. I don't think it would harvest sales of Stomps/Stomp XLs, but I don't have the data to back that up.

@Rossyamaha I'm going to check out your stream thanks for the heads up!

Edit: possibly even have the L6 'clean' model from their new amps rather than including a classic like a Fender to properly differentiate between this and a 'proper' helix amp modeller.
  • Technically you could just have the built in Graphic EQ in the chain as your preamp. Adjust the EQ to your taste and plug straight to poweramp. You'd get a good clean sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
    Technically you could just have the built in Graphic EQ in the chain as your preamp. Adjust the EQ to your taste and plug straight to poweramp. You'd get a good clean sound. 
    That's an excellent point!