Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #92

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #92. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @fastonebazfor providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st March 2023.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    edited March 2023
    I struggled with deciding - theres great stuff in every entry. I've listened again and again!

One part that was really interesting to me was how everyone dealt with the slowing tempo.

5 points - DigitalDave

I found the first parts pleasantly uncomfortable to listen to (!) - I know thats intentional and is some cunning note choices, timing and scales - what was going on there? - there are some big intervals in there and I love ear catching stuff. (were you the Holdsworth fan - I can't remember)

The B section - I REALLY enjoyed - from the sustained whammy bend coming back in to land on in the right place - nice delayed tone and the muting at the start of the part when you introduce the thematic licks was really nice and established - and you came back to it a couple of times which makes everything sound planned and written. I liked both the melodic line and would love to cop that lick that you vary at 46 secs, and at 52 secs.

Theres a lick in there that is particularly nice to my ears at 56-57 seconds - not over flash but reminds me of the kind of thing that Justin Derrico does in his live solos with P!nk that get the listeners back on home turf after he's been shredding and showing he's there

The end was spot on stadium closer - nice touch!

3 Points - Fastonebaz
    This was all about the double tracked start for me and the very ending.

I'm really impressed at the effortless way you stick the quick passage in where no normal human would - especially after con the listener into thinking they are listening to Skynyrd!
    - and again - double tracked?! - Thats awesome.

The descending passage that goes into the B section is really satisfying after the nice double stops.

One thing I really like is that every note is played with 100% conviction and all the timing is spot on - and that just makes the whole thing solid and confident.

The ending was very cool the big bend from major was ace, and then some 

You can do this stuff in your sleep!

1 Point - Stratman
    I have to say the opening to the B section in Stratmans track was very enjoyable to listen and re-listen to - I really liked the tone and tune really well played - and obviously the legato at the end - thats your secret weapon! - what was that?

Again, you can do this stuff in your sleep and its really impressive!

However, like I said - there is great stuff in every solo, and having ducked out for months, I know how long it takes to prepare and do this.

Marharg101 - Totally solid playing throughout my favourite bits were the B section especially 32-33, and 38 seconds, and the repeated ending at 1.01 was great as the track slowed - and it was a completely great choice for that part of the track - really sold on that.

Flying_pie - I really rate the fact that you went out to have three very different styles and sounds - thats imaginative and creative - I might have a go at something like that but I know I'll struggle to play the styles so differently and convincingly. Did you pick the tones out first and then work out what to play with those tones in mind?

Bellycaster - I liked the tones you used with the vibe in there - pretty wild felling, and the sliding descending (sixths?) - I've aways loved that - Steve Stevens does that and its memorable playing. The ending from 1.01 was cool - ESPECIALLY from 1.01 - because that choice of descending notes really brings everything back into control for a few seconds, and then gets wild again for the ending. Ace!

Well done everyone great work!

Cheers,
    Ben.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    5pts @DigitalDave ;
    Crazy, unique, unexpected, great technique, majestic addition of cheering

Tasty licks and melodic phrasing, lots of well executed techniques involved, splendid triplet apocalypse ending 

Nice juicy tone, cool harmonies, ending sounded like a Christmas song, frantic edge of control performance very in keeping with the style of the backing track

Lots of great playing and novel ideas from everyone.

Enjoyed listening to them all loads :+1: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    I can hear a bit of 'Freebird' type licks in my top three choices.

5 points : @fastonebaz ; : Loads of attitude and energy. Guitar pyrotechnics and pick scrapes.

3 points : @Bellycaster ; : Fitted the style of backing well. Good combination of melody and classic rock licks.

1 points : @Bennyboy-UK ; : Similar comments to the above. I think this one could have been a bit more up-front in the mix.

It's not a competition.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    Pretty wild round that one and good to hear everyone let loose.

5 Points @fastonebaz - A proper face slapper there. Smoke from the frets, the lot. Great mix of techniques and finger wizardry.

3 Points @stratman3142 - Good mix of restraint and finger liquidity. Very precise playing but with plenty of feel.

1 Point @DigitalDave -  Unusual but still compelling in the first section and extra kudos for channelling Nuno in that section. Playing remained great throughout and loved the addition of Freddie at the end.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Voting ends tomorrow (31st March) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    My voting is entirely down to what sort of solo I feel fitted the song best

5 points @fastonebaz for a ripper
    3 points @stratman3142 cultured yet still rocks
    1 points @Bennyboy-UK great fit 
  • Great bunch of solos - this one brought out the rockers!  So hard to pick 3 as I enjoyed them all...

5 points
    @fastonebaz  ; solo fits like a glove - unison bends at the start, guitar noises and slick lines throughout - nice!

3 points
    @Bennyboy-UK ; a well tempered melodic approach - i really liked the tasty line at 0:31-0:36 reminded me of something Mr Lukather would do 

1 points 
     @Bellycaster ; ;  loved that phasey sound ; playing = superb 

• @Bennyboy-UK ,  thanks for the detailed review on all the solos it's good to get an idea of how other's hear the same thing!
    Bennyboy-UK said:  what was going on there? 
    just messing with the pentatonic shape on the top two strings but stretching the hand a bit further. Nothing too fancy!
     (were you the Holdsworth fan - I can't remember) big Allan fan :) i don't understand any of it (who does?) but i love it.
    would love to cop that lick that you vary at 46 secs, and at 52 secs. that's just a major scale pattern with a note repeated from string to string and a bit of hybrid picking to smooth it out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    @Bennyboy-UK to answer your question specially I wasn't that organised. As I'm clearly not the most accomplished of lead players I frequently employ the gimmick approach for SOTM hence the 3 part approach.

I began jamming with a humbucker rock tone in mind but I felt the key change would suit a countryish  rock type approach to start with and knew I'd use a Tele for that. Being honest I just used my gig rig default amp settings and I didn't spend much time on it as I'm really busy at the moment. IIRC I used different IRs for each of the three tracks but it was mainly down to the guitars and pickups selected rather than worrying about dialling in tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 690
    edited March 2023
    So often when I hear a solo that I really rate, it's when the structure, feel, and build of the solo makes me think "Yeah, that's what I would have done there" but then goes off into note choices and licks that make me think "Damn, that's cool I must learn that technique / scale" or whatever. So that's how I've approached my votes here.

@Bennyboy-UK - 5 points - great playing, felt on the edge of losing control at the end but held on, which is what I love in any live performance
    @Bellycaster - 3 points - tremendous attack from the get-go, tasty bit of wah, those last licks were Fast-Eddie-esque
    @flying_pie - 1 point - love the different styles which were pulled off with aplomb, the transitions in the mix could have been more refined, but the playing was great, I didn't find it gimmicky at all.

Kudos to all entrants - all were inspiring to listen to.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    edited March 2023
    Voting closes tonight 31st March 2023 at midnight.

It's not a competition.
    Voting closed.

It's not a competition.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    @Bennyboy-UK Your expanded comments seem to have opened everyone up a bit, bravo! It's great to get an insight into people's creative process and workflow, I often get stuck for ideas if something doesn't come to me straight away.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"