One Nation Under a Groove

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1597
Owned a copy for many years but never really got into it, and preferred other funkadelic albums.

Played it again last night and still didn't find it great - lacking low end, lacks much variation, but the allmusic review claims it is one of the greatest funk albums ever?

Is it just me that doesn't get it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am with @horse - i read about funkadelic when I was 18/19 - in the late 90's, One Nation Under a Groove was the first album I got - It nearly put me off - the production isn't great, nor is the quality control - they. had a lot "going on" by that time and its nowhere near as good as some of their earlier 70's albums - Free your Mind and Maggot Brian are the most well known but I really like cosmic slop and standing on the verge of getting it on. 

I like the Eddie Hazel Parliament albums as well - mother ship connection and up for the down stroke are good. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5648
    Well, you got my attention. Here in Oz, One Nation is the ratbag racist populist far-right party every country has to have so that you can make jokes about them, usually just by telling the truth 'coz it's funnier than anything you could make up.

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1200
    Tannin said:
    Well, you got my attention. Here in Oz, One Nation is the ratbag racist populist far-right party every country has to have so that you can make jokes about them, usually just by telling the truth 'coz it's funnier than anything you could make up.

They're called the Tories here, or the Conservative & Unionist Party to give them their official title.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nup. Not even the UK Tories could put on a hysterically stupid display of transparent lies and mindless infighting and stark raving incompetence accompanied by ... (Thinks back to a few UK news stories. Well, OK, a lot of UK news stories.)

Sorry. As you were.

My apologies Horse, I've derailed your thread. 

Obviously I have never heard of the band. I looked them up on YT earlier and rather liked what I heard, though it didn't seem to have that fine edge of  ... well, put it this way - I happened to hear Stevie Wonder's Superstition on the car radio yesterday and after being recently reminded of just how bloody good that was, what I heard on YT tonight was ... well, it was OK. Just OK.

Didn't listen to the whole album though.

PS: often "one of the greatest" is code for "they did it first and everyone else copied it". 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2450
    horse said:
    Owned a copy for many years but never really got into it, and preferred other funkadelic albums.

Played it again last night and still didn't find it great - lacking low end, lacks much variation, but the allmusic review claims it is one of the greatest funk albums ever?

Is it just me that doesn't get it?
    Yep, the production does not do it any justice.

Also, I think they were probably off their faces for most of it, hence dodgy QC on the tracks etc.