Poopot's Cover Challenge #22 - the letter I voting

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
edited April 2023 in Making Music
It's time to vote on the letter I

you can hear all the tracks in the playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/poopots-cover-challenge-22-i

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

There is a bonus 5 points for covering the specified track which was I'll Be There by The Jackson 5

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Friday 31st March 2023

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. In the event of a tie for first place then all those tied will choose a song.

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited March 2023
    Looking forward to listening to them all properly.

Sorry again guys for the shit song choice. Hopefully I don't ever win again so I'm not given that responsibility again
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    @thecolourbox don't be daft! It was chosen in good faith, you're just pitching to a bunch of miserable bellends, myself included in that ;D  If you REALLY want to see some negative reaction to a song choice go back and review my selection for B!

OK lets get the ball rolling on this as I have some time to listen to all of them properly. Its another good month for entries eh? Some great work going on. As usual I'll pick things that just appeal to me ... there's nowt much more to it than that I'm afraid because I am fickle ... FICKLE I TELL YOU

5 points : @IMC9180 ... I know how this looks, basically there is nothing between this and my second place, I had to give a bonus point for having the cajones to cover both Chris Cornell AND Tom Morello and getting there. Also think the production on this is really good, especially the chewy arse guitar tones. 

3 points : @flying_pie ... Iron Maiden. I don't really know how you got this sounding SO close to any of the American series records, it could genuinely have come from any one 

1 point : @stratman3142 ... I'm not really a fan of instrumental covers of vocal songs but this was so nicely arranged and again a really great production level. The harmony lines particularly balance really nicely.

Honourable muncheons to everyone else, some really interesting takes on songs I've not heard in ages. It kicked off a little Dylan trip and a revisit of some classic Buckley.

Double muncheons to @thecolourbox as sound like Jeff Buckley in one track and then Nick Drake in the next was really nice and they pair well together. Only thing that put me off was the mic really and I feel so bad for saying that as I know you're moving. Some of that harsh air just went right through me on cans. On the plus side, really looking forward to hearing what you do when you've settled in.

Very kind of you Bezzer to offer your muncheons, I am very sorry for a) the terrible mic and popping etc and b) the terrible vocals on I'll Be There in addition to the terrible mic situation. I'll probably re-do the vocals for the Dylan one but probably won't bother with I'll be There.

I really do wish I enjoyed Nick Drake a bit more as I get a lot of people mentioning this name when listening to my singing. I don't really hear it that much, and I started singing before I heard anything by him, but I suppose everybody hears different things. I do need to listen again to him as perhaps I can find something there for me to add to the repertoire
    I'll place my votes now as I need to stop posting on the site for a while.

5 points - Flying pie I am the Walpurgis. Enjoyed the mashup (and i think spotted a few other Beatles drums references in some sections?)
    3 points - Stratman I'll Be There. Again not normally an instrumental fan but this reminded me of old TV show themes which was nice. Good fun
    1 point - Flying Pie Iron Maiden. Johnny is in the building

Thanks all
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Another bumper month of entries, my votes go to:

5 points @Bezzer - I love this song and I know how hard that first note of the chorus is to sing, let alone pitching C5 harmonies, also really enjoyed the solo which had both nods to the original and its own identity. Top work!

3 points @flying_pie - I Am The Walpurgis - Absolutely inspired and was very close to being my top choice. 6 minutes of mash-up mayhem in the best possible way!

1 point - @stratman3142 - Another quality mashup, I am a sucker for the Lizzy leads and you have some quality guitar work in this version.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited March 2023
    All of my choices have great vocals, so that comment applies to all three below

5 points : @Bezzer ; - I Don't Love You : Epic and moving song. Some nifty guitar playing. Great dynamics

3 points : @IMC1980 ;- I Am The Highway : I real rocker. Good production and sounds, except I'm not too sure about the snare sound, which has too much of a note in it for my taste.

1 points : @thecolourbox ; - I Shall Be Released : Sparse and effective. Tasty guitar. I particularly like the sound of your voice on this one.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    edited March 2023
    Another good variety of entries...

5pts : @thecolourbox - I Shall Be Released - very classy and spacious. I'm tempted to put this on my wife's car playlist
    3pts : @flying_pie - I Am The Walpurgis - an inspirational epic
    1 pt : @idiotwind - In Brooklyn - really enjoyed this having been to NY too many times and never heard it before
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    5 points @Bezzer - what a brilliant job of a great song from a great album. Excellent arrangement and better solo than the original. It would have been absolutely perfect if only you could have talked Gerard Way into doing the vocal

3 points @thecolourbox ISBR - brilliant job. Love the stripped back guitar and vocal (shoddy production FTW)

1 point @IMC1980 for another solid, brilliantly produced rocker

Sorry to the rest of you. Always really close and any of the entries would be worthy of at least a point. Bring on J
    Reminder that entries close tomorrow night
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470
    5 points: @flying_pie for I Am The Walpurgis
    3 points: @thecolourbox for I Shall Be Released
    1 point: @stratman3142 for I'll Be There
    Reminder that voting closes tonight at 11.30pm (or more likely whenever I get up tomorrow)
    Voting closed