Marcus King @ Leeds Student Union, 25/03/23

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
Anyone going to this gig tonight? Really looking forward to it!

First time I've been to this venue though, and can't find out who the support band is, what time they start and what time Marcus is due on stage!

Anyone know?
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2591
    How was it? I went to see him in London last week. Thought the whole band were excellent! 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    A bit disappointing, to be honest.

The Leeds Student Union website said the doors opened at 7:30pm, so we got there at 7:45pm and the queue outside was HUGE. 

We passed through security after 30 mins (who made me empty my jeans pockets and used a metal detector wand on me and my girlfriend, but paid no attention at all to her handbag!), we got inside to catch the last 90 seconds of the support band, Ida Mae. The sound was poor, being both loud and muffled at the same time.

Unfortunately, when Marcus and the band came on at 9pm the sound didn't improve. His vocals were fine (what a voice!) but the brass section and guitars were too low in the mix and everything was indistinct. It was very difficult to hear some of his or the other guitarist's solos when the whole band were playing and it didn't get any better as the night progressed. Same with some of the brass section solos.

The band finished at around 11pm with an excellent version of Jeff Beck's 'Rice Pudding' and then a woman standing behind me fainted onto the back of me and then hit the floor!

I've read a few comments on Instagram from other people who attended the London gig who also were less than impressed with the sound. Not sure if he's got his own sound man or the venues are providing them. Either way, it was a bit of a let down!    
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2591
    That's a shame. The sound wasn't the best but I think with the Forum you need to be in the right place as the sound doesn't hit the back of the venue very well. Could hear the horns and his wingman on guitar no problem though. And yes, what a voice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom