SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Godin Acousticaster 12

What's Hot
pluckedoutpluckedout Frets: 149
edited April 2023 in Guitars £
Am re-doing my FS thread, including embedding the pics, as most of what I was selling has gone but I want to add something else...looking for cash ideally but I can always be tempted with a part exchange of something vintage, but will need to be Gibson/Fender/Rickenbacker.

First up is my 1964 punk AF Mustang incl. original case. Has Seymour Duncan antiquity Firebird pickups installed and sounds incredible. Has the 'A' neck.

https://imgur.com/a/sUtLVwK

£2250 plus postage or collection very welcome from high Wycombe or possibly central London.

SOLD 
Second, due to my ongoing Gibson addiction, I need to sell this beautiful 1939 Epiphone Broadway with original case. I bought this incredible instrument from @danishbacon and I'm sure you all know what exquisite taste in guitars he has. It has the original case as well as a period Epiphone learn-to-play book, as well as some spare Frequensator tailpiece spare parts. Selling for what I paid for it which is £3500. Pickup/meet up greatly greatly preferred. Postage is possible but I won't ship it without insurance which will make it expensive. GONE

Hard to overstate how nice this is, I doubt you will find a better archtop anywhere near this price, and it has such incredible history. It is likely to have been through the hands of Epi Stathopoulos himself in the New York factory, and is almost certain to have been originally bought by a professional jazzer. I hope @danishbacon doesn't mind but I've quoted some text from his original advert (https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/208284/gone-1939-epiphone-broadway-when-only-the-best-will-do/) below.

------
From original ad
-------
Pre-war Epiphones are one of the reasons Gibson opted to buy out their competitor and deemed to be some of the best Archtops ever made. Their answer to Gibson’s motto of ‘only a gibson is good enough’ was ‘when only the best will do!’. This one is likely one of the first ones to come out of New York with a centre parted headstock and maple back and sides. According to the Epi reference book I have Epi Stathopoulo would have personally checked over this instrument before it left the workshop. Not many were made. 

The top is hand carved Adirondack Spruce according to 1930s documentation and solid curly maple hand carved back and sides. Brazilian rosewood fretboard (not subject to cites due to age). Neck is mahogany with maple and walnut sandwich for stability. It has a truss rod though I probably wouldn't play with it. The neck is dead straight, is stable and plays faultlessly with 12 flatwounds. 

The guitar currently has upgraded (and reversible install) Waverley tuners and its original retired Grovers are in the original Epiphone branded Lifton case. The guitar has been refretted, the frequensator arms replaced. Original tailpiece has been repaired as is the case with almost every pre-war epi with it. 

I suspect the neck has had some clear lacquer over sprayed at some point many decades ago to protect wood from wear, the whole guitar glows under blacklight at a similar shade. 

Pickguard is likely later replacement as originals were self destructing. Bridge looks like could be 40s/50s replacement (though I have seen this particular bridge model listed as an Epiphone bridge) and is well set up and intonated. I have since had an exact copy rosewood bridge made by a luthier, to the original Epiphione engineer's plans I was able to source.

The whole instrument has little marks and touch ups from 82 years of playing. 

Sale will include some rare bits that make up a nice collectors set, an original 1939 George Van Eps Epiphone Guitar Method and a set of old stock frequensator arms.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments