Blackberry Smoke - Paul Jackson using Helix

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2457
edited March 2023 in Music
I know they are commonplace on touring band stages now for practicality, convenience, reliability, consistency etc, but seeing a Helix on stage with Blackberry Smoke has really surprised me I have to admit.

To me, the Smoke are the very definition of an old school, spit 'n' sawdust, plug & play rock 'n' roll band - cranked tweed Fenders, non-MV AC30s & Plexis all the way, at least that's what their stage set up and guitar tones suggest, so I did not for one minute expect to see a modeller and nothing else at Paul Jackson's feet.

Now it could be that he only uses it for a few effects and tuning etc as he has always struck me as a simple, volume rider kind of player, or maybe has a guitar tech doing his switching, but still, even those deep South vibes aren't immune from the allure of the mighty Helix's noughts and ones.

Interestingly, no mention of it in their Premier Guitar rig rundown from earlier this month - https://www.premierguitar.com/videos/rig-rundowns/blackberry-smoke-2023

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1107
    tFB Trader
    Did you see the @IvisonGuitars Dakota (?) make several appearances
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ivison Guitars too now. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    I’ll cut in here if I may as I spoke to Paul on Sunday and expressed faux horror at the Helix..which we both had a laugh at. 

The simple fact is some of the gigs they’ve been doing in Europe just haven’t been big enough for their full backline and, while Charlie & Benji have 50w Germino/Marshall heads with Echopark and a Vox AC30 all FLAT OUT on stage, Paul is happy to use the Helix when space is at a premium. He still has his backline on the truck and that gets used when they have space. 

Sounded killer from where I was stood :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    And....any excuse to show a couple of pics as I'm absolutely buzzing that Charlie and Benji are my latest endorsees...!!

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2038
    Off to see them tomorrow night - can't wait. 3rd time for me.

Expecting it to be a fairly different vibe to Haken who I saw in Manchester at the weekend...  Travelled over with a mate who loves them. I'm a bit of a Haken noob. It was...intense. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    I had not heard of these guys - but I've just watched a recent Paris gig on youtube and I really them!

Thanks for the heads up

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• StefBStefB Frets: 2457
    I had not heard of these guys - but I've just watched a recent Paris gig on youtube and I really them!

Thanks for the heads up
    Magnificent band with a great back catalogue and they really excel on stage.  Enjoy!