USB memory sticks

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Decided to go with a usb-connected external hard drive, as this is a critical operation: we're cloning Linux-based industrial PC boxes which contain my software running as a daemon. We're not doing high volume, but we do need reliability and not losing the clone image. Tools = tuxboot, clonezilla 
    I would have thought that a USB drive was more reliable as its flash based memory rather than a physical disc which can suffer if dropped, knocked etc. If it really is mission critical then do the clone onto both an external drive and a USB stick.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Kingston. Used them every day at work for years. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    Decided to go with a usb-connected external hard drive, as this is a critical operation: we're cloning Linux-based industrial PC boxes which contain my software running as a daemon. We're not doing high volume, but we do need reliability and not losing the clone image. Tools = tuxboot, clonezilla 
    Are you sure about that? is it a 2.5" disk or a 3.5". 2.5" drives are notoriously fragile (glass platters) and I'm fairly certain flash storage is still more robust than any 3.5" mechanical drive. MTBF figures may not be that useful here, as you said yourself you're not doing high volume (that is where flash falls down).
    Personally I'd just use 2 USB sticks, that weren't bought from ebay. That should be easily enough redundancy (unless you've run over a black cat this morning. Then I'd get a third one...)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    BigMonka said:
    I would have thought that a USB drive was more reliable as its flash based memory rather than a physical disc which can suffer if dropped, knocked etc. If it really is mission critical then do the clone onto both an external drive and a USB stick.
    If it's for storing mission critical I would definitely want a backup. And an off-site backup if possible. Though from Philip's description I think this is just the widget that's being used to load the thing on and he simply doesn't want one that will randomly give up at some point. Hard discs are more vulnerable to physical damage from knocks, but so far as I know flash is more vulnerable to unexplained failure. For convenience and speed I'd go flash, for long term backup HD.