Humbucker in a P90...

What's Hot
BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
edited March 2023 in Making & Modding
A cursory look seems like I won't need to remove much material to put a humbucker in my Coronet but caution favours the brave so I thought I'd ask here before I break out the Dremel!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    DiMarzio do the Super Distortion and Tone Zone in exact P90-size housings that will fit with no routing.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/p90-soap-bar

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    You can also get P100’s, they’re supposed to be a silent P90 with dummy coil, but sound more humbucker-ish than P90 to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Just a small cut either side, but you need to fill the corners of the P-90 route for the pickup ring screws

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    The Dimarzios are ace. They are possibly my favourite looking pickups.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    All great info, thanks guys :)
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5055
    @Alegree does a few, too.

https://www.alegree.co.uk/products/humid-tropics-p90-sized-humbucker-paf-tone-with-a-modern-twist

I think he does them in other flavours, too.  He also stocks covers which (I assume) fit.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited March 2023
    TheMarlin said:
    You can also get P100’s, they’re supposed to be a silent P90 with dummy coil but sound more humbucker-ish than P90 to me. 
    The Gibson P100 and Duncan STKP-1 pickups amount to a pair of equally overwound coils, stacked vertically and intended to be connected in parallel. 

Both designs sandwich the bar magnets between the coils. Four-conductor + shield output cable (if present) allows additional coil splittage or series interconnection options. 

Split mode is the upper 15k coil. (Harsh and, of course, prone to hum.) Series is hot and fat but conspicuously short of treble. 

To my ears, none of the three modes sounds right as a P90. Nor do they sound like humbuckers.

The Seymour Duncan custom shop builds a few humbuckers under P90 covers. So do Lollar, Novak and TV Jones.

Mini humbuckers would not look out of place in Coronet/Wilshire surroundings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    DiMarzio do the Super Distortion and Tone Zone in exact P90-size housings that will fit with no routing.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/p90-soap-bar
    I did look at these, trouble is they are soapbar and mines a dogear. I can buy uncut dogear covers to re drill if its as simple as that?
    @Alegree does a few, too.

https://www.alegree.co.uk/products/humid-tropics-p90-sized-humbucker-paf-tone-with-a-modern-twist

I think he does them in other flavours, too.  He also stocks covers which (I assume) fit.
    How did I not spot these? Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    BeardyAndy said:

I did look at these, trouble is they are soapbar and mines a dogear. I can buy uncut dogear covers to re drill if its as simple as that?
    Ah - that makes it a little trickier, but definitely do-able.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I did look at these, trouble is they are soapbar and mine's a dogear. I can buy uncut dogear covers to re drill if its as simple as that?
    Dogear P90 format pickups have a metal baseplate with stepped screw lug extensions at either end. Regular P90-format humbuckers lack the lugs. Some may even have a plastic baseplate.

One option that would work (but look naff) is a Gretsch Filter'Tron style surround.

It is possible that you simply have the wrong P90 in there at present. The Epiphone PRO specs seem respectable enough. Maybe, a magnet swap would enliven them a little?

Ultimately, the decision rests on whether you want a humbucker for noise-cancellation or for tonal reasons.
    edited April 2023
    @Funkfingers it's so I have 2 guitars of similar output for gigs. I use one guitar for std tune and drop D with another half step down, the jump from a 12k humbucker to a vintage voiced P90 messes with the levels a touch. In an ideal world I'd pick up another guitar (there was very nearly a whiskey fuelled Epi' Joan Jett purchase a few nights ago) but with my mortgage going up over 20% in a few months time I have to be strong and take the cheaper option. 
    Sounds to me like a job for a clean boost pedal.