subtle chorus pedal

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
edited October 2014 in FX
I hate chorus pedals.  The prospect of thick shimmery chorus is abhorrent and should be banned from music. (imo..)

however...  one of the bands I play in is kinda rootsy/country/folky, there are a few songs that I use a little bit of chorus for.  I've been using the line 6 m5 for that and it works ok, especially as i can use the level control to only bring in a little bit of chorus to thicken it up a bit.

But I want to put the m5 on my other pedal board so am going to look for a replacement pedal.

It must have a level control, it must be able to do a subtle chorus rather, and it must be easy to use, ie controls that are accessible and usable on stage.

I have owned a jacques meistersinger before which was probably the best one I tried, but is hard to find and quite pricey.

I had the danelectro one which soundwise was fine, but the controls are fiddly to use in a live situation.
I am not looking at anything particularly small ie the Mooer are too small for my hamfisted hands, and real cheapo ones ie joyo aren't my bag tbh.   Volume jumps, tone sucking etc is a no for this as well.

I am looking at the TC corona (both the mini and full sized would problaby do).
So any other recommendations? or should I just go for the TC?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The MXR MIcrochorus is a great chorus pedal. Nice and simple to use (IE 1 control) doesn't do overly "in your face" type sounds, and basically just works. The control knob is easy to adjust with your foot too......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The TC is worth a punt as you get a level control so you can make it quite subtle, and there's all the toneprints to mess with as well. I had one for a while, but these day I use the MXR Microchorus, which despite having just one knob is pretty versatile and sounds great.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    On the off chance you have a tc toneprint delay on your board they have the tri chorus as a toneprint. That's pretty subtle.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Get a Line 6 ToneCore Chorus from PMT for 25 quid and set it to subtle. Cheap and versatile (if heavy) solution.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    MXR Micro Chorus. It doesn't have a level control, but it's subtle enough that it doesn't really need one, and it's impossible to get a bad sound out of at any position of the knob.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

For a cheap chorus the Digitech Multi chorus is excellent. Does a wide range of chorus (chourii?) sounds.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l;366900" said:
    The MXR MIcrochorus is a great chorus pedal. Nice and simple to use (IE 1 control) doesn't do overly "in your face" type sounds, and basically just works. The control knob is easy to adjust with your foot too......
    This is the correct answer.

I have a hardwire chorus I love - it did have a switching problem, but it's perfect now and can be very subtle indeed.

I prefer really thick, lush in your face chorus myself :)
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Which chorus pedal would people recommend for adding to distortion for an eighties sound (along with some delay and reverb), good old Boss or something different?

@maidenfan I use both the Digitech and Microchorus for those things.

I've had a very much Iron Maiden "Somewhere in time" sound from the Digitech. The Microchorus is  more subtle, but still does the 80's rock sound very well.

Cracking user name too.

• I was never a great chorus fan until I bought a Guitar Tech "Vintage" chorus pedal, on the strength of a review in Guitarist. They said it was subtle, IMO they were right, and the effect of it used judiciously is quite pleasing
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Mxr anolog chrous would be my vote, can do nice and subtle with plenty of control, don't be put off by 5 whole knobs, the two EQ knobs are cut only so keep them cranked and use the level, rate and depth as normal.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I've got a small clone clone up at the moment and am likely to be selling my CE-2 clone at some point as I'm building a new one for me in a multi shortly. Details on my site.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
    thanks guys so far, alot of love for the MXR choruses.

Anyone have any issues with them ie volume hike/drop, tone sucking, reliability??

The MXR's don't play nicely when put in the loop (specifically on a DSL), but upfront they're (IMO) the best chorus around.

The other (bigger, more complex) MXR is great for home/studio use, but overly complex for live. The Micro does everything really well.

The microflanger does a pretty subtle almost chorus when set really low. I like mine with both settings all-but-on zero. Gives a nice shimmer.

• You might want to consider an old Boss CE-2B. Yep it's a bass chorus but its basically a classic CE-2 but with an added level control.

I also prefer MXR chorus over Boss for distorted sounds.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    maidenfan said:
    Which chorus pedal would people recommend for adding to distortion for an eighties sound (along with some delay and reverb), good old Boss or something different?
    EBS Chorus. It's aimed at Bass so does a lot of what you want well....I know where there's a hardly used one for sale for £125 (180 new) - it also has a very good flanger in the enclosure so covers a lot.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

mike_l said:

@maidenfan I use both the Digitech and Microchorus for those things.

I've had a very much Iron Maiden "Somewhere in time" sound from the Digitech. The Microchorus is  more subtle, but still does the 80's rock sound very well.

Cracking user name too.

Thanks Mike, appreciate your advice
    Gassage said:
    maidenfan said:
    EBS Chorus. It's aimed at Bass so does a lot of what you want well....I know where there's a hardly used one for sale for £125 (180 new) - it also has a very good flanger in the enclosure so covers a lot.
    Not a brand I'm familiar with, so thankyou, I'll do a bit more research
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
    went for the MXR analog chorus.  £10 cheaper using flubit than anywhere else.

cheers, fellas for some stella advice as usual.

Enjoy sir.

I does like a bit of MXR action...