SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted: Photographic copy stand

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
edited April 2023 in Misc £
Long shot, but there's some keen photographers on here. Looking for something stable and fairly solid. Found a tonne of Dad's 35mm and medium format negs and slides from the 60' and 70's. The idea was to use my 35mm DSLR and tape the negs/slides to a light box, photograph them and then convert in Photoshop.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4787
    Sorry to be pedantic but a 35mm DSLR.

If you have lots to do, there are copying attachments that will fit your camera, like this.   I have used these commercially and with a bit of effort you can get top class results. 

https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/viewfinder/slidecopying.html

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    @rlw ;Thanks, yes, looked into those. Great for 35mm slides, but what about the 6x6 slides I need to copy? Hence a cheap copy stand, and turn the iPad into a lightbox. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12537
    I used a scanner to convert 35mm slides and negs. It should be able to cope with larger slides ok too. Mine’s an Epson, but there’s plenty of other brands. 
    edited April 2023
    @boogieman If only I’d kept my old Epsom photo scanner! Yes, they are great, but are about £380 new now. Really wanted to do this project on the cheap/ish.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12537
    Zoolooter said:
    @boogieman If only I’d kept my old Epsom photo scanner! Yes, they are great, but are about £380 new now. Really wanted to do this project in the cheap/ish.
    Good grief, I didn’t realise they had gotten quite so pricey, I think I paid about £140 for mine. 
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    I have a copy stand - huge!
    I could let it go - never use it. 
    And I'm not a million miles away :)
    PM me if you want more info
    @trolley Pm'd
  • 4string4string Frets: 34
    tFB Trader
    This might be useful - from @OilCityPickups other life :-)
    and using a  scanner

Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11156
    tFB Trader
    I use the Epson 4990 to digitise negatives from 6x6cm medium format, 6x7, 5x4 inch large format and 5x7 large format. I wouldn't really recommend it for 35mm - I DSLR scan all my 35mm work with a Nikon D800 with a 60mm micro Nikkor lens - much better and as good as expensive lab scans. Were I starting from scratch again I's probably pick up a cheaper older DSLR like the Canon EOS5 mk 1 or 2
    and use that with a macro lens. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

@OilCityPickups i’ve also got the D800 just need to pickup a suitable used macro lens. Never ventured into macro photography, is a 60mm the best option for copying 35mm and 6x6? It’s obviously going to be adjustable on the copy stand. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11156
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    The 60mm Nikkor  is glorious 
    Here's my review 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb_SacLQK6Q&t=7s 

it's also the sharpest Nikkor lens I possess - and it's actually sharper than my 50mm f2 Leica Summitar 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 438
    I concur - the 60mm is a cracking bit of glass and well up to the task. 
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 438
    @OilCityPickups ;
    Nice collection of videos on YouTube - won't help my camera GAS....