replace my thr10. Looking for a rechargeable living room amp - spark mini or nux mighty air?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4347
    I always prefer AA’s as it doesn’t mean I’ve got to do surgery when the inbuilt cell dies 
      And if they die you can buy them anywhere . Spark mini is still pretty awesome though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4347
    John_P said:
    Update -   thanks for all the comments.

I ordered a spark mini last night and it arrived today.   Just got in from a day out and had a quick try with it.  

Feels solid and chunky enough for a tiny box, super easy to use - already programmed 4 presets and playing along to songs on spotify.  Plenty of volume for a sofa amp and it'll get used on trips away as a bluetooth speaker.        I'd already had the nux 5rc wireless system so with that I've got a much tidier setup with no cables that I can take anywere.    Very impressed on first impressions.
    Congratulations , the mini seems an awesome bit of kit and from what I’ve seen on videos & forums is supposed to project the sound quite well . I wouldn’t mind one 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    edited June 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    Another option is a beefy Bluetooth speaker and a Nux MP1 ..... plug the Nux into the guitar then use an aux cable to go from that to the BT speaker. It will be in stereo so it sound wider than it is and the you can bluetooth backing tracks to the Nux which will then come out the speaker. This is what I do a lot when I'm not using headphones. 

Just get a beefy BT speaker, not a little one. 
    I'd be interested in this solution, @Danny1969 ;;

Can you, or anyone else, recommend a bluetooth speaker with Aux input that sounds good for this purpose? I tried it before sending the headphone output of my Line 6 Amplifi TT to the AUX Input of a Mackie Freeplay BT speaker and there was a significant latency issue.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1830
    BigPaulie said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Another option is a beefy Bluetooth speaker and a Nux MP1 ..... plug the Nux into the guitar then use an aux cable to go from that to the BT speaker. It will be in stereo so it sound wider than it is and the you can bluetooth backing tracks to the Nux which will then come out the speaker. This is what I do a lot when I'm not using headphones. 

Just get a beefy BT speaker, not a little one. 
    I'd be interested in this solution, @Danny1969 ;

Can you, or anyone else, recommend a bluetooth speaker with Aux input that sounds good for this purpose? I tried it before sending the headphone output of my Line 6 Amplifi TT to a Mackie Freeplay BT speaker and there was a significant latency issue.
    I'm considering this approach. I'm only looking at speaker options just now, and haven't tried any out, but would remark that it's possible to get both a mighty plug pro and a Marshall Acton III for cheaper than a THR wireless/Katana Air, etc
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10640
    Well you can't use BT to send the guitar signal as that is packet based and channel hopping so will always have latency .. always. 
    My approach is to just connect a 3.5mm stereo aux cable from the Nux MP to the aux input of various speakers I have here inc a Creative Stage speaker, a Sony iPod dock and a few other various BT speakers with aux inputs using 3.5mm stereo jack socket. 

2 of these things were picked up in charity shops for less than a fiver. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    edited June 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    Well you can't use BT to send the guitar signal as that is packet based and channel hopping so will always have latency .. always. 
    My approach is to just connect a 3.5mm stereo aux cable from the Nux MP to the aux input of various speakers I have here inc a Creative Stage speaker, a Sony iPod dock and a few other various BT speakers with aux inputs using 3.5mm stereo jack socket. 

Cheers, Danny.

I should have been more specific and say I was connecting the Amplifi TT to the Mackie speaker via Aux cable and the latency was unusable.

I've had similar latency issues using the Aux input on various BT speakers by Anker, Sony and JBL

Hence asking for a recommendation of a BT speaker with Aux in which does not have latency issues over AUX.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10640
    BigPaulie said:
    Danny1969 said:

Cheers, Danny.

I should have been more specific and say I was connecting the Amplifi TT to the Mackie speaker via Aux cable and the latency was unusable.

I've had similar latency issues using the Aux input on various BT speakers by Anker, Sony and JBL

Hence asking for a recommendation of a BT speaker with Aux in which does not have latency issues over AUX.
    I've just had a play through the Creative Stage ... this does have a tiny bit of latency but it's very very small, maybe due to the digital DSP circuit  before the amp which EQ's the input to the speakers. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3972
    I’m going through pretty much every desktop modeller and now I’ve just picked up the Spark mini and I’m in flipping awe of it. Had the 40 previously but felt it wasn’t portable enough and a bit bassy/boomy but this model is just perfection for my needs. I’m getting some sounds I’ve been hankering for all my life too, namely AC30 overdriven stuff. Anyone who’s looking for Weller/Jam sounds (really, really decent ones, think Setting sons/ All mod cons era) they’re inside this little box.….and whilst I’m sat at my dining room table for God’s sake! Big, big, thumbs up from me.