Best way of learning Cubase SE

KDSKDS Frets: 221
Recently bought a mixer ZEDi 10fx, which is brilliant bit of kit for mixing, mics, bass, guitar, synths, etc. Bundled with it was Cubase SE. As I've MacBook I'd like to learn and record some tracks. Children at school have been using Ableton and go on about how brilliant it is, and saying how easy it is to use........ I suspect Cubase is very similar in use..
Looking at the 'learner' youtube videos, I'm still abit intimidated, the sample they talk about don't seem available on SE. Should I persevere and struggle through or, are there any particular recommendations for videos/books I should be looking at?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    I can't comment on Cubase specifically because I don't use that DAW.

For the one that I do use, I found three things worked for me;
    1. I had a definite project that I wanted / needed to get done
    2. I found a professional YT tutorial channel that worked for me
    3. I jumped in and got started - getting started is the hardest bit
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    TTony said:
    I can't comment on Cubase specifically because I don't use that DAW.

For the one that I do use, I found three things worked for me;
    1. I had a definite project that I wanted / needed to get done
    2. I found a professional YT tutorial channel that worked for me
    3. I jumped in and got started - getting started is the hardest bit

Thanks for the good advice. Ready for round 2. I'm going to start plugging stuff in and giving it a go. I'll report back later :)
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    I’ve been using Cubase since the Atari - I use Cubase 9 le  the subject is so vast it can be difficult to know where to start …. If you’re totally flummoxed maybe try importing an mp3 file and messing around with that.
    try adding another audio track ie recording your voice or instrument- usually there will be videos on YouTube as previously mentioned 
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    I also read the manuals for DAW software. I’ve learned a LOT that way. I put them into Goodnotes on iPad.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Starting to get somewhere :)  Found this, ideal for discovering the complete basics 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    TTony said:
    getting started is the hardest bit
    +1

My musical collaborator has been happily beginning song Projects in Garageband for over a decade. He would export them for me to add my contributions in Logic Pro.

About five years ago, my collaborator invested in Logic Pro with every intention of getting up to speed on it. In the intervening time, a combination of Covid lockdown, having builders in and general lack of new ideas have resulted in no material being forwarded to me for yonks.

The learning curve with any DAW software is steep. On the other hand, if you happen to be an acoustic instrumentalist and singer, there is no compelling reason to learn about plug-in synthesizers in great depth.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.