What might be the best strings for an all mahogany guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5324
    D’addario nickel bronze maybe
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @mgaw ; yes that's the one I was struggling to remember. Thanks

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5644
    If you are going down the nickel road 

* Martin Retros are probably the lightest sounding nickel alloy string. They are Monel, a nickel-copper alloy, about two-thirds nickel. 
    * SIT American Roots are also made of Monel and probably sound similar to the Martin ones. I have a set here to try but haven't put them on yet. 
    * GHS White Bronze are made from Alloy 52, a 50-50 iron-nickel alloy. I don't know what to expect from these. I have a set as yet untried.
    * D'Addario nickel bronze. Quite a lot darker than the Retros. I prefer them, but I suspect that that is simply that they happen to suit the guitar I'm using them on. (It's a Guild, Red Spruce over mahogany.)
    * John Pierce Pure Nickel Said to be the darkest of all. Another one I haven't tried yet. 

My Guild is due for a string change. I think I might try the JPs or the GHS ones next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 939
    edited April 2023
    Mellish said:
    @Smellyfingers ; the reason I asked is that your answer may give us more idea of the sound you're after.

So the darker the better? 

I think so now, because darkness might be all-hogs special quality.

I can now reveal what the issue is: that it is a Collings OM1:which I have observed generally seem to have a  somewhat more complicated ‘fruity’ tone than other makes,  which I would’nt want to murder with overly flat strings.

To be clear - I am really grateful for all the knowledgable suggestions, and I do mean really,

However, the difficult conundrum people are facing now is: what string might accentuate the Collings darker properties, but also have sufficient brightness or ‘sparkiness’ to not dull down this very precious instrument?

I apologise, I only know enough about strings to know that the Company recommended D’ EJ16s currently fitted, do not make the most of a specifically all mh instrument. They simply do not!

Sorry!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Sadly it's not a cheap experiment, either! 
    Kudos to those trying this out. 
    Best strings would be those that sound good even toward end of life obvs, Monel sound interesting
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
      Monel sound interesting
    hmm not sure that's going to get past their marketing people 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2023
    Sadly it's not a cheap experiment, either! 
    Kudos to those trying this out. 
    Best strings would be those that sound good even toward end of life obvs, Monel sound interesting
    Yes, I agree and certainly  Kudos to those who would go through this difficult thought process - with no pay off other than perhaps caring for the future of a somewhat historic instrument!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5644
    Those EJ16s, are they reasonably fresh? Or tired and dull? 

• Tannin said:
    Those EJ16s, are they reasonably fresh? Or tired and dull? 

They are nearly new.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7897
    I like Newtone masterclass (hex core) PB on just about anything.

IMO you have to like the Monel tone if you're going to put it on anything at all. It's not as if it's magical on some guitars.

Only one way to find out, buy:
    D'addario PB
    D'addario 80/20
    Martin Monel 

Then if you like one of those then try other brands from that family.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Most strings will sound alright at some point in their life span. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited April 2023
    Mellish said:
    So what were you looking for that you thought an all hog would give you?

Thank you for asking - the thing is my favourite bit of pure guitar music is the intro to ‘Gimme Shelter’ which is obviously quite dark, so I thought it would suit all mahogany. Also there is something about the unembellished tonal purity of mahagony  which I thought would give my own little chord arrangements more definitive clarity.

But the question for any psychiatrists out there might well be - why was I so mental, as to trade in all my other guitars and max out on my credit card, for one used 3.5k all hog special? Given that wood’s obvious limitations.

And could any please recommend what the very best strings might be for it, please?

I have no idea what would be the  best sounding strings on your guitar . However , I only stock strings that I like . Try  my 13-56 80/20 Bronze, you can find them on the link below. If you don't like them ,will give you a refund. leave a note on the order    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73046
    I have Newtone Masterclass phosphor bronze round-core 11s on my all-mahogany Eggle parlour. It's certainly not underwhelming or lacking dynamics - quite the opposite, it's almost *too* responsive in a way, it's quite easy to overdo it with hard strumming. It's not at all 'dark' either - it doesn't have the big, full-range sound of my Gibson Dove, it's a bit of a one-sound midrange guitar, but has plenty of top-end.

I don't like Monels at all - dull and one-dimensional, and I don't really think they suit mahogany guitars than much more than spruce ones, they just sound less awful on them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2023

I have no idea what would be the  best sounding strings on your guitar . However , I only stock strings that I like . Try  my 13-56 80/20 Bronze, you can find them on the link below. If you don't like them ,will give you a refund. leave a note on the order    

Thank you ! I had been leaning towards the Martin Monels from Strings Direct but yours certainly  looks like perhaps a more wholesome shop.

I do have one reservation though, and it’s not a joke, given that I only really want to fit one set of strings (partly for wear and tear reasons).

…Why should I risk investing in a mere £8.95 set of strings for a three and half grand sculpture of exotic wood: when I would probably be more reassured by a more respectable seeming £12.99 set?, in terms of expense, that is.

Sorry.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    edited April 2023

…Why should I risk investing in a mere £8.95 set of strings for a three and half grand sculpture of exotic wood: when I would probably be more reassured by a more respectable seeming £12.99 set?, in terms of expense that is

Sorry.
    If you want further reassurance, I can flog you a set of strings for £49.99. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    Martin Monels a match made in heaven with all Mahogany guitars,
    but they need to bed in for a time 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2023
    Kilgore said:

…Why should I risk investing in a mere £8.95 set of strings for a three and half grand sculpture of exotic wood: when I would probably be more reassured by a more respectable seeming £12.99 set?, in terms of expense that is

Sorry.
    If you want further reassurance, I can flog you a set of strings for £49.99. 
    Given the importance to me of this fine piece of work, I would actually be possibly able to accept your interesting offer, if you were kind enough to be a little more specific as to their exact nature.

Would the price include a professional level of figment as well?
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 791
    Another vote for monels for mahogany. I put Martin MM12 on everything mainly. They work out so much cheaper because of their longevity and I like them. Except my resonator upon which they don't sound nice to my ears. But on my dread, OM, small all mahogany - monels. I like the steely complex tone for the old man's blues and ragtime which I predominantly play. It seems more in character for the recordings of my favourite 1930's and 40's players who would have been playing on......... monels!! Phosphor-Bronze only introduced in the 1970's.
  • markj said:
    Martin Monels a match made in heaven with all Mahogany guitars,
    but they need to bed in for a time 
    Agreed.Tried all types of strings over 10 yrs on my Martin 00015SM.Kept going back to Martin Monels.Not great at first but let them settle in.Then there great!.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    On this OM-28 Re-imagined EJ16s give me exactly what I want

@smellyfingers I'd say arm yourself with a bunch of different brands, types and just work your way through. That's all it is, and you'll know when you get the sound.
    PB
    Monel
    Silk & Steel
    Nickel Bronze

Good luck mate

:)