Marshall Keyboard 12 as guitar amp?

What's Hot
Has anyone tried playing guitar through an old Marshall Keyboard 12 amp? I used to have a reverb 12 and was wondering if the keyboard version was significantly different and useable as a guitar amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    edited October 2014
    It's almost identical to the Lead 12 but with no overdrive. Works very well as a guitar amp if you use pedals. Which is a good thing, as it's a dreadful keyboard amp!

If anything it's probably closer to a non-MV JMP Marshall than the Lead 12, which is closer to a JCM800 MV model.

Having had a quick look at the schematic, the EQ circuit is slightly different too, but it shouldn't make any practical difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool. I might pick one up locally if its cheap enough. I sort of miss the reverb 12 I sold you ICBM. I've also got a celestion g10 vintage speaker kicking around doing nothing. It might be fun to swap out just for kicks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    I kind-of miss the Reverb 12 as well... I sold it to a friend who really really wanted it :(. I had fitted it with a G12T-75 too! Yes, you can actually fit a 12" speaker in them, with some work to the baffle. The 75 had a nasty buzz at >20W or so, but sounded great at 12!

One day I may get it back :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom