Anyone else enjoy gear because it sounds bad?

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
I have a memory toy. It's pretty rubbish and cheap, the repeats are murky and noisy and the modulation sways about like a drunken Mohammed Ali on rubber crutches. It boosts the dry signal unless you have the mix up near half too. But I love it, it's so scrunchy and lo fi :D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Well Jack White, and The Black Keys do .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Danelectro FAB overdrive that sounds like a broken amp - it's great!
    %-(
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I love shit sounds.
  • I shit love sounds.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    I had the Memory Boy - It's an awesome pedal for weird drunk sounding modulated delay. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73102
    ZVex Fuzz Factory
    Sound City Fuzzwah (sadly sold… wish I hadn't)
    Boss Distortion-Feedbacker
    Boss Octaver
    Boss DM-2 Delay with the time trimmer set full up

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited October 2014
    I bought a really horrible ukulele a while ago.  It was £10 new, which should provide a suitable idea of the sheer level of craptitude it possesses.  I was doing a session, and was asked "Do you know anyone who plays ukulele?  We're going to need someone next week", to which I naturally answered "I do!", despite never having played one in my life, then rushed out and bought the cheapest one I could find that afternoon to learn how to pl.. Um, I mean. 'Perfect my already established ukulele chops'.

I think I play it more than anything these days.  It just sounds so hilariously crap that it turns everything I play into fun.  A large portion of my evening yesterday was spent playing assorted Rage Against the Machine riffs on it in the kitchen.

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    Sound City Fuzzwah (sadly sold… wish I hadn't)

Haha- yeah, I used to have a JHS Fuzz/Wah out of my mam's catalogue in the very early 80's and have in recent years been regretting letting it go. It had that spitting, rasping fuzz and asthmatic wah sound that went so well together. I hated it at the time when I wanted to get gorgeous sustaining lead sounds.

• steamabacus;367928" said:
    I have a Danelectro FAB overdrive that sounds like a broken amp - it's great!

%-(
    I think that's based on quite a rare vintage od, though can't remember which...
    ICBM;368230" said:
    ZVex Fuzz FactorySound City Fuzzwah (sadly sold… wish I hadn't)

Boss Distortion-Feedbacker

Boss OctaverBoss DM-2 Delay with the time trimmer set full up
    Not tried a dm-2 or fuzzwah but I don't think the others sound crap! The feedbacker distortion I tried was pretty cool, into an overdriven Marshall it gave a really clear, aggressive Muse like distortion. And the feedbacker was hilarious fun, I sold it on because I kept getting complaints from the neighbours for all the squealing...
  • To answer the question, the crappest sounding pedal I've heard is the electro harmonix double muff probably. It's got a really cool od sound that fizzles out on the decay in a very sizzly, unattractive way. Avoid that, and it's a cool sounding overdrive.

Double mode is not amazing but fun.

Another is the t rex bloody Mary. Too thick for heavy stuff, not enough fuzziness for alt stuff... Just a terrible sounding pedal, but the looks and the box are reason enough for me to want one.