Hss wiring back to standard help.

What's Hot
Any ideas on what the previous owner trying to achieve with this wiring on this silhouette has s guitar and the easiest way to to get it back to a standard volume tone layout

The 2nd control is now  acting like a volume with the 1st control adding h something but not sure if it's blend of one of the other pickups. 

Any help would be much appreciated as I don't really want to start from scratch wiring it. 

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    It looks like it's been wired as a dual volume control setup with the pot wiring 'independent' (backwards), and the switch has been messed about with too. The simplest and quickest thing to do is literally remove *all* the wiring except for the ground connections to both pots, and then rewire it to the standard schematic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 54
    edited April 2023
    ICBM said:
    It looks like it's been wired as a dual volume control setup with the pot wiring 'independent' (backwards), and the switch has been messed about with too. The simplest and quickest thing to do is literally remove *all* the wiring except for the ground connections to both pots, and then rewire it to the standard schematic.
    Thanks was hoping just to switch a few wires but will strip it down , what Capacitor would you recommend, (the pickups are schallers) - I've only got a 2a473j capacitor. 

Will this diagram be OK?

https://ibb.co/4ZFwVq9
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    ICBM said:
    It looks like it's been wired as a dual volume control setup.
    Thank Clapton that somebody could see the photographs properly.

On my smartphone, any image hosted on ibb.co gets elongated beyond all recognition. :frown: 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    musicalstash said:

Thanks was hoping just to switch a few wires but will strip it down , what Capacitor would you recommend, (the pickups are schallers) - I've only got a 2a473j capacitor.
    That's ideal.

Will this diagram be OK?

Nearly - it doesn't need the ground moving on the tone pot since it's already connected. Just use the cap to connect the volume control input (switch) terminal to the tone control middle terminal instead of grounding the cap.

Personally, although the switch wiring will work as shown, I would also parallel all the pickup connections since that maximises reliability and minimises switching noise.

ie if you label the terminals in the diagram (allowing for the tilt!) as -

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8

With the volume control to 1 and 8 (as shown), also connect the bridge pickup to 4 (shown) and 7, middle pickup to 3 (shown) and 6, and neck pickup to 2 (shown) and 5.

Does that make sense?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    musicalstash said:

That's ideal.

Will this diagram be OK?

Nearly - it doesn't need the ground moving on the tone pot since it's already connected. Just use the cap to connect the volume control input (switch) terminal to the tone control middle terminal instead of grounding the cap.

Personally, although the switch wiring will work as shown, I would also parallel all the pickup connections since that maximises reliability and minimises switching noise.

ie if you label the terminals in the diagram (allowing for the tilt!) as -

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8

With the volume control to 1 and 8 (as shown), also connect the bridge pickup to 4 (shown) and 7, middle pickup to 3 (shown) and 6, and neck pickup to 2 (shown) and 5.

Does that make sense?
    Thanks will give it a go when I get home  - not too sure if it is possible but using the current switch is it possible to " split "the bridge  humbucker pickup for positions 4 on the 5 way . 

musicalstash said:

Thanks will give it a go when I get home  - not too sure if it is possible but using the current switch is it possible to " split "the bridge  humbucker pickup for positions 4 on the 5 way . 
    Yes - in which case ignore the parallel wiring bit. You also need to *not* connect the volume control to terminal 8 as shown - only to terminal 1.

Then connect the bridge pickup coil split (red and white if it's a Duncan) to terminal 7, and either the volume control input or ground, depending on which coil you want to remain on, to terminal 6. Which coil remains on will make quite a big difference to the sound of the bridge/middle position, and also whether it's hum-cancelling or not. Unfortunately without knowing exactly what the pickups are or testing them, I can't say which is better, you may have to just try it both ways.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    musicalstash said:

Yes - in which case ignore the parallel wiring bit. You also need to *not* connect the volume control to terminal 8 as shown - only to terminal 1.

Then connect the bridge pickup coil split (red and white if it's a Duncan) to terminal 7, and either the volume control input or ground, depending on which coil you want to remain on, to terminal 6. Which coil remains on will make quite a big difference to the sound of the bridge/middle position, and also whether it's hum-cancelling or not. Unfortunately without knowing exactly what the pickups are or testing them, I can't say which is better, you may have to just try it both ways.
    Thanks all sorted now ,  I have 3 other guitars which belonged to the same owner and he did the same mod on all them .