SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Guitar Swap Meet

What's Hot
Recently went to a ham radio meet (unintentionally I will add) and it made me think about all the spares I have kicking about that could find a new home.

Does a guitar swap meet type event exist?

Thanks,

Ben
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7243
    I’ve organised a few in the past 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3374
    I always think this would be a great idea for those of us with guitars to trade. Think it’d work particularly well if we were to meet at a studio so things can be tried out and just have an opportunity to generally natter and talk guitars. And no, I’m not volunteering to organise it before anyone asks. ;)
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 194
    Probably be good to get something like a church hall like what they let kids parties happen (I've been to a few of those). Can't be as unruly as a load of 8 year olds fuelled on cake and sweets actually it might be haha 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8961
    The attendance would by higher if it could be combined with another event, such as a jam session.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7243
    edited April 2023
    The issues I found were that either people didn't want to travel or wouldn't bring stuff to trade (I know?), so I'd hire venues and get a load of people backing out, or moaning there wasn't enough trades/stuff for sale.

Did a couple of really successful ones in Exeter, followed by a few ones where people did the above.

I had a bar, food, music and stuff you could buy/trade. But people acted like complete dicks about it and so I never bothered again after the last one.

Actually, have some really good venues here I could use, with a place to jam/live music. Just don't have the energy to deal with dickheads moaning.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9840
    edited April 2023
    I frequently have a Gear Swop in my music room… it involves me, the Post Office and Andertons or G4M usually…
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3584
    I'd love that.
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 341
    If one was on, I’d try and get to it. 
  • Sounds like a great idea 
  • bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
    To help with attendance it could be left broad and be a guitar/music/hi-fi/ham meet. Some of the best equipment I've ever bought has been from hi-fi/DJ guys that clear out venues when they close. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    The issues I found were that either people didn't want to travel or wouldn't bring stuff to trade (I know?), so I'd hire venues and get a load of people backing out, or moaning there wasn't enough trades/stuff for sale.

Did a couple of really successful ones in Exeter, followed by a few ones where people did the above.

I had a bar, food, music and stuff you could buy/trade. But people acted like complete dicks about it and so I never bothered again after the last one.

Actually, have some really good venues here I could use, with a place to jam/live music. Just don't have the energy to deal with dickheads moaning.

In my experience, moaning and being dicks goes with dealing with people in general!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 643
    PMT organised a few music car boot sales a few years ago which were alright but not really enough people. it’s a shame they haven’t bothered to do more m as it could build a lot of interest quite easily with their backing/promotion.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24915
    I’m looking to swap my DGT for a ‘59 Les Paul. If one of these events might facilitate this, please let me know…
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2097
    Isn't ham radio pretty much dead nowadays?
    M0UWS
    73's

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 197
    Great idea, i'd be up for it!

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15010
    bennyg85 said:
    It does. You just described HarrySeven's ideal bank holiday weekend break.  ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4514
    Devil#20 said:
    Isn't ham radio pretty much dead nowadays?
    M0UWS
    73's
    I got G7BTH in 1988 after being a short wave / scanner listener  I renewed my license a couple of times to do stuff like Packet radio / APRS  it was exciting in the old days to listen to people in the US or far flung places & get QSL cards but it was quite novel . Meanwhile 2 metres turned into a sort of glorified CB radio . 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2083
    bennyg85 said:
    Recently went to a ham radio meet (unintentionally I will add) and it made me think about all the spares I have kicking about that could find a new home.

Thanks,

Ben
    Did you bring home the bacon?
    I'm offended that you even have to ask