Copper tape from Lidl

What's Hot
I saw this on sale at Lidl

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy-tools/parkside-copper-tape-mesh/p60337

It's meant for garden use, but I wondered if there was any reason why it could not be used for shielding a guitar?  I have no idea what the price is like in comparison to the stuff that is meant for guitar, but it seems to me that there is a fair amount of tape for the money.

If it was suitable, it would also have the added bonus of keeping those pesky slugs out of your cavities.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    edited April 2023

If it was suitable, it would also have the added bonus of keeping those pesky slugs out of your cavities.
    I just shower every day.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    I don't see why not, depends on the the thickness of the backing I guess?  Too thick and it could be difficult to get into awkward spots.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    The glue on the tape might not be conductive, so you might have to 'bridge' the tape strips to give continuity.
    It is bloody sharp at the edges & will slice your fingers when applying it unless you are careful.
    Thinking about it, the mesh might be just as good at shielding if you could get it to stay in place  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    The slug tape is thinner than the stuff sold for screening at e.g. AllParts but will do the job. I find that it's a bit tricker to use as it crumples easily and tends to stick to itself.

You do need to solder the pieces together (just a blob is fine) for continuity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Years ago I shielded several guitars and amp heads using that aluminium foil that is sold to cover the joins when using Kingspan insulation. It worked very well, no continuity issues - AFAIK it's designed to provide continuity
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The glue on the tape might not be conductive, so you might have to 'bridge' the tape strips to give continuity.
    I always do anyway, since the ‘conductive adhesive’ isn’t very even when it’s new, and dries out leaving the shielding incomplete. You only need one small blob of solder between any two pieces, you don’t need to seam the whole thing, so it doesn’t take much more work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    I like slug tape. It’s about the right depth for the side walls of pickup cavities, and often comes with a sawtooth edge which is ideal for bending onto the cavity floor.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks for the helpful comments - I'm cycling to Lidl this afternoon so I'll get some and give it a go.  I'll also check out the shower products. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    Wear gloves while using it, as kittyfrisk says you'll be covered in papercuts before you realise!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    davros said:
    Wear gloves while using it, as kittyfrisk says you'll be covered in papercuts before you realise!
    Yeah it's really sharp. We have tons of slugs here, also the plantpots don't pick up 60 cycle hum, which can't be a coincidence.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I obviously started a run on slug tape as they were out of stock by the time I got there.  I got some gloves to wear in the shower just in case.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited April 2023
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    Dave_Mc said:
    davros said:
    Yeah it's really sharp. We have tons of slugs here, also the plantpots don't pick up 60 cycle hum, which can't be a coincidence.
    Oooh, get him - posh enough to import American plantpots ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    davros said:
    I didn't even think of that!  =)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    Dave_Mc said:
    randella said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    @Dave_Mc - it's telling about me that I know the mains frequency in a country I've only ever visited twice, but I'll be goddamned if I can remember what it was I had to email my colleague about before the end of today :lol:
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    randella said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    @Dave_Mc - it's telling about me that I know the mains frequency in a country I've only ever visited twice, but I'll be goddamned if I can remember what it was I had to email my colleague about before the end of today :lol:
    LOL!  =)