Guess the traitor..............

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20517
    As a determined non Facebook user, I'm still moderately curious to find out what this 'in-joke' post is actually about ?

Way back in the mists of time, there was a thing called MusicRadar, and they had a forum, and lots of us were on it.

And on a few occasions - firstly, in 2003, when the above pic is from - we would get together at a whacking great bash called Gasfest, in Bristol, hosted by the much-missed and never less than radiant RockBabe. They were great bashes, she worked her fucking arse off getting some genuinely awesome raffle prizes, to raise literally thousands for a charity called the Drakes Project, and we'd all get up and play shit to each other, then go back to the hotel we all stayed in and get even more leathered than we had been at the venue.

The above pic is of one 18-year old Thomas Ross, currently known as @thomasross20 of this here parish, ripping it up and sounding like a genuine guitar god. He used to get so excited about stuff we'd call him Tigger.

And Minky is a guy who liked taking piccies (and pretty damn good at it he was, too) who was called MinkyMonkey on that there musicradar, which forum duly collapsed under its own weight, hence the arrival of this previously said parish.

Does that help?
    I knew all about Music Radar, I was curious as to the cryptic nature of the post here. 
    Thanks for the comprehensive clarification :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited April 2023
    As a determined non Facebook user, I'm still moderately curious to find out what this 'in-joke' post is actually about ?

Way back in the mists of time, there was a thing called MusicRadar, and they had a forum, and lots of us were on it.

I knew all about Music Radar, I was curious as to the cryptic nature of the post here. 
    Thanks for the comprehensive clarification 1 
    GASFest is from Inter Music forum days  - which was pre Music Radar 

nothing cryptic about the OP,   a simple "guess who"   picture of a bloke we all know playing a guitar  -

that took the subject matter, (much) longer than I expected to respond !
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    I'm getting old lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 951
    @bertie ; now who is that - is it you?

Nice t-shirt. Does it come in your size?!
    ;)
    =) 
    Mellish said:

nope

Im a photo-vampire
    @bertie ; by the way mate, early next year one of our daughters will be moving to Bristol.
    I'll probably be down there several times each ydat (the big guy willing) so if you're up for it, a meet and.a jam?

:) 
    Mellish said:
    @bertie ; by the way mate, early next year one of our daughters will be moving to Bristol.
    I'll probably be down there several times each ydat (the big guy willing) so if you're up for it, a meet and.a jam?

*makes note,  move house*

sounds good  - where abouts is she moving ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @bertie ; all she knows at this point is that it's Bristol. I'll give the exact area when I know it.

edited April 2023
    I'll play Waltzing Matilda for you On 5-string banjo - and that'll make you wish you *had* moved house!

Seriously, Waltzing Matilda is a favourite of mine. Everyone knows it so they can join in. It often pops up in my gigs. Great ice.breaker.

• bertie said:

Thanks for the comprehensive clarification 1 
    GASFest is from Inter Music forum days  - which was pre Music Radar 

nothing cryptic about the OP,   a simple "guess who"   picture of a bloke we all know playing a guitar  -

that took the subject matter, (much) longer than I expected to respond !
    Yes, of course it was, durr!

Mellish said:

Nice t-shirt. Does it come in your size?!
    ;)
    =) 
    It's actually me. Fuck knows where I got the t-shirt from (or indeed the guitar - I don't ever remember playing an LP) - the pic is the painting from the cover of Genesis' Selling England by the Pound. I have no recollection of that occasion whatever. :-S
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Dennis you are too kind, as ever!
    Not at all - iirc, it was (still is?) a view pretty universally held.

One of the first things I was told when I started my career (in advertising, at the time) was "No need to be modest, kiddo, there are more than enough people around happy to be modest for you."
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    @TheOtherDennis ; is it? Nice to see you mate. 

Mellish said:
    @TheOtherDennis ; is it? Nice to see you mate. 

the REAL Dennis  :) 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5997
    Mellish said:
    I'll play Waltzing Matilda for you On 5-string banjo - and that'll make you wish you *had* moved house!

Seriously, Waltzing Matilda is a favourite of mine. Everyone knows it so they can join in. It often pops up in my gigs. Great ice.breaker.

Careful. These days, you will probably get de-platformed for cultural appropriation if you play that. :)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    The legend Dennis above ! 
    Let's get some more :)
    The legend Dennis above ! 
    Let's get some more :)
    there are some more about ;)
  • Oh god 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    Wasn't GASfest when it was still the Guitarist magazine forum?  (I went to the '05 one). 
    SteveF said:
    Wasn't GASfest when it was still the Guitarist magazine forum?  (I went to the '05 one). 
    see previous text just a few posts up  -  yep in Inter Music days,  pre Music Radar  (publishers of the same magazine)