Vibrato technique query

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9755
Ok, my vibrato on a unbent string is decent, but pretty rubbish on a bent string. Always manages to sound exaggerated or not enough. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Don't bend the strings.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2014
    Underbend it a bit then add vibrato rather than bending to the target note then adding vibrato.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's one of those techniques that feels impossible when your learning it, but becomes natural feeling after time and (lots of) practice.

Some tips that may help include:

Using your wrist muscles to rotate your hand (rather than doing it with your finger muscles)

start gradually with a gentle and subtle motion so you get used to controlling how much/ how fast to go

And (with the greatest respect to not_the_dj) I'd suggest bending exactly to pitch before adding vibrato, and always returning exactly to pitch before cycling the motion.

Think about it. When you fret a note and add vibrato, you can only bend to a higher pitch and release back to the fretted note. If you bend up to a note, it is also possible to release and re-bend up to the original note. But I think the key to making either way swing, is to have a swing to the rotational movement of your wrist rather that a forced BEND - UP - LET DOWN action.

Ultimately use your ears to tell you what's right or wrong and stick at it. It will get better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9755
    Thanks ED, this is definitely helpful. I think I was relying too much on my fingers and thus not really getting the amount of control I would have liked. Using the wrist more is definitely giving control. Wisdom awarded.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4613
    Great job ElectroDan, thank you