• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Very nice indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Looks sturdy! 
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 328
    Cheers chaps!

I managed to get in the garden last night and test a newly restored Stanley plane on this. It's given a lovely smooth finish and is pretty much ready for a coat of osmo  :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slowbonesslowbones Frets: 1
    Looks lovely. I 2nd Osmo for Oak - might be cheaper to go for a few coats of Danish oil though. Osmo can get expensive though but goes a long way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @slowbones ;

Does danish oil colour the wood at all? I actually ordered some samples of osmo and tried it on some scrap. The osmo added a nice light tint, I wouldn't want it any darker though.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Lovely work my friend. Well done. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Lovely work my friend. Well done. 
    Thank you  :)
  • slowbonesslowbones Frets: 1
    strat84 said:
    Thanks @slowbones ;

Does danish oil colour the wood at all? I actually ordered some samples of osmo and tried it on some scrap. The osmo added a nice light tint, I wouldn't want it any darker though.
    It definitely darkens it a little but it is pretty neutral. It can be found quite cheaply so may be worth trialling it. 
    slowbones said:
    strat84 said:
    Thanks @slowbones ;

It definitely darkens it a little but it is pretty neutral. It can be found quite cheaply so may be worth trialling it. 
    Thanks again. Yes will definitely try a few different options before committing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    That's fantastic, some skill there. I would have erred on the side of caution though and made it at least 4ft x 3ft  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 373
    Excellent work, very professional looking indeed. If I'd attempted the same thing, it would have resembled a disinterested teenager's school woodwork project! Consider me impressed. :-)
    That's fantastic, some skill there. I would have erred on the side of caution though and made it at least 4ft x 3ft  :)
    Excellent work, very professional looking indeed. If I'd attempted the same thing, it would have resembled a disinterested teenager's school woodwork project! Consider me impressed. :-)
    Thank you guys  :)
    I decided to give this a final roundover with a 1/4" bit. It was a better quality bit and gave a better cut than the previous one. I also set my plane to give a very fine shaving and smoothed it all as much as possible.

I did try Osmo on some scrap which looked nice apart from making the end grain quite a dark, amber colour and not very clear. I had some wax polish so gave it a couple of coats and buffed it a bit. Not sure if it will give much protection applied to raw wood but it looks quite nice.

Another thing I've decided on is to only attach velcro where the pedals will sit, just to have as much wood exposed as possible. Here are the pedals pretty much in position, the feet and power pack also need attaching underneath - 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Finally complete and fitting nicely into a large laptop bag ready for this Saturday's gig  :)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1265
    Wow, I'm really impressed! That's a cracking piece of work. So nice, you'll be scared to ding it I'd imagine?
    Wow, I'm really impressed! That's a cracking piece of work. So nice, you'll be scared to ding it I'd imagine?
    Thank you  =)

A bit yeah! I can always sand it down and re-finish when it starts to look a bit tatty  ;)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    edited June 2023
    As a former cabinet maker, can I commend you on the cleanliness of your build and your choice of oak for the project.
    Cracking job!
    DiscoStu said:
    As a former cabinet maker, can I commend you on the cleanliness of your build and your choice of oak for the project.
    Cracking job!
    Thank you very much @DiscoStu, that means a lot! 

The Oak was a matter of luck to be honest, just some reasonably priced pieces from Ebay. I did take my time sorting through it and selecting which pieces I wanted for the sides, back and front  :)