Recommend an accurate action gauge

What's Hot
BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1122
edited April 2023 in Making & Modding
I used to own a cheap Baroque action gauge but threw it away pretty much as soon as I got it because it was printed wonky.

So I bought a D'addario one thinking the quality of this seemingly reputable brand would be better. How wrong I was.

The scales are not "zeroed" properly against the edges of the tool making it unusable as a tool whose purpose is to measure fractions of millimetres.

Any recommendations for a good one in the UK? Stew Mac aren't an option due to the extortionate shipping rates for such a small purchase.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18409060@N00/albums/72177720307663704
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited April 2023
    The Crimson Guitars gauges are well laid out, easy to read, and accurate, but are £18 each for metric and imperial as they don't have one with both.  They are photographed with the protective clear plastic still on them, hence the slightly scrappy look.
    https://www.crimsonguitars.com/products/string-action-gauge-inch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1122
    BillDL said:
    The Crimson Guitars gauges are well laid out, easy to read, and accurate, but are £18 each for metric and imperial as they don't have one with both.  They are photographed with the protective clear plastic still on them, hence the slightly scrappy look.
    https://www.crimsonguitars.com/products/string-action-gauge-inch
    That looks quite handy. The metric one would be fine.
  • BigPaulie said:
    I used to own a cheap Baroque action gauge but threw it away pretty much as soon as I got it because it was printed wonky.

So I bought a D'addario one thinking the quality of this seemingly reputable brand would be better. How wrong I was.

The scales are not "zeroed" properly against the edges of the tool making it unusable as a tool whose purpose is to measure fractions of millimetres.

Any recommendations for a good one in the UK? Stew Mac aren't an option due to the extortionate shipping rates for such a small purchase.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18409060@N00/albums/72177720307663704
    Damn, i was looking at the D'Addario one too, how about this Dunlop one? 

Dunlop Maintenance Tools Action Gauge at Gear4music

I can't quite tell but it looks like that suffers from the same problem from the image?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    You don't really need to measure the string height accurately, or at all. So longs as it plays well what does it matter whether the strings are 1mm above the frets or 1.25mm?

Having said that, I do check the heights and have both D'Addario and Stewmac gauges. Of the two I use the D'Addario one as it's more readable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    You don't really need to measure the string height accurately, or at all. So longs as it plays well what does it matter whether the strings are 1mm above the frets or 1.25mm?
    I use a plain steel rule - Rabone Chesterman, if it matters :) - held against the string at the 12th fret. Accurate enough to read to a quarter millimetre, which is all you really need - any finer than that and it's more dependent on the individual guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The black Stringtec one is very good, but out of stock. Usually about a tenner on Amazon.

• TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    BigPaulie said:
    BillDL said:

That looks quite handy. The metric one would be fine.
    I have one which I think might be the same as that only with different branding. It works just fine. Metric-only ones are best as it saves buggerising about. 

Is there a point to having one? Absolutely! Having an exact measurement and keeping records of it is very useful and saves guesswork. Most of the time you can just say "Yep, that feels about right" and not measure, but every so often it is good to ground-truth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Hmm, I bought a Baroque one a few years ago because I thought it was ok, or at least better than the really cheap ones. The other branded ones mentioned above don’t look any better to me, from photos at least. Interested to see if there is a good recommendation.

I did use a steel rule but found it hard to read 0.5 mm increments. The string gauges with a series of increasingly tall rectangles are good because you just move it along until the top of the block appears/disappears under the bottom of the string.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1122
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Wiz's all round!
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    I've been using metric feeler gauges for most of my life, accurate and inexpensive.

They were originally used for tappets on my cars, so have been a good investment.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    Hmm, I bought a Baroque one a few years ago because I thought it was ok .....
    The annoying thing about the Baroque guage is that each of the guitars I set up with it would only play a minuet and I could never get them to play in 4/4 time.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    IMDB?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    BillDL said:
    Hmm, I bought a Baroque one a few years ago because I thought it was ok .....
    The annoying thing about the Baroque guage is that each of the guitars I set up with it would only play a minuet and I could never get them to play in 4/4 time.
    Bach off, Bill ;)
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    I’ve got an Amazon one which has metric and imperial which seems to be useful to have both