Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14464
    Looks like a tidier example than my 78/79 sunburst.

The DiMarzio pickup is a mixed blessing. It simultaneously improves the sound of the bass and destroys its originality. 

In the photographs of the fingerboard, what looks like shadows to either side of the strings are wear marks in the poly finish. If the wear in the side-to-side vibrato zone is that extensive, it will be worse directly underneath the strings. Roundwound wraps could have chewed through to the maple. (Go on. Ask me how I know this.)

IMO, white ash 'n' maple is not the ideal wood combination for fretless. Too much midrange scoopage.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Funkfingers said:

IMO, white ash 'n' maple is not the ideal wood combination for fretless.
    In my opinion maple is not an ideal fingerboard wood for fretless at all, even though it's not much softer than rosewood. Rosewood is an oily wood so doesn't need a finish, maple does. Chewing through the finish is an issue even with flatwounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    If you’ve never wanted a bass I’m surprised that something so utterly ‘normal’ appeals to you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    it would cost hundreds to add the missing  frets.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom