SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

sold: Museum-grade 1947-48 Gibson ES-300N Blonde (have a seat before opening)

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2762
edited April 2023 in Guitars £
A special one that does not turn up for sale regularly and certainly not in this condition. 

Includes all of its original hardware, adjustable P-90 pickup; nickel Kluson 'f-hole' trapeze tailpiece; compensated rosewood bridge; bound tortoise pickguard, clear gold barrel tone and volume knobs, adjustable truss rod, nickel Kluson deluxe open back tuners. It comes in its original lifton hard case

This ES-300 doesn't have a label or a FON (factory order number), par for the course for the time period, but it may still be dated fairly closely by construction details. Built in late 1947 or early '48, it would have been one of the first to have the new, modern Gibson logo, and one of the last with a bound tortoise guard and open-back Kluson Deluxe tuners. 

It's a beautiful ES-300 and the very rare blonde version of the model, with one piece back (as opposed to the more usual split back maple) (only 83 ES-300 examples in the natural finish were built in 1948.)

Build with wonderful flamed maple throughout, the guitar is in what you might call museum-grade condition, with all original finish, hardware, and electronics, and is without cracks, pick or buckle wear. The original pickguard has some crystalistion where it attaches to the bracket (not deemed to be offgassing by Joe at Archtop.com). Apart from some normal finish checking a the instrument shows few signs of use despite its age. It plays well, with a beautiful tone from the P90, and still has its original frets.

From the web:

Debuting in 1940, the ES-300 was Gibson's top-of-the line electric guitar. Originally sporting a huge 7" diagonally oriented pickup, the electronics were changed the following year to a smaller diagonal pickup in the bridge position. Revived in mid-1946, the ES-300 was fitted with a single P-90 pickup, and the unique Kluson tailpiece with f-hole cutouts, seen only on this model, and then only for a few months. The single pickup version was built only until 1948, when the ES-300 was refitted with twin pickups.

Another nice resource with additional photos and information: 
http://dutchbopper.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-gibson-es-300.html

Retrofret have one for sale at U$6500 (£5250+-) but it has repairs and overspray.

£4950 for this one, based in Swansea.

You can click the images below to see them in higher resolution and zoom in.

es300-01 es300-02 es300-03 es300-04 es300-05 es300-06 es300-07 es300-08 es300-09 es300-10 es300-11 es300-12 es300-13
0reaction image LOL 33reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pruddprudd Frets: 682
    You do have some cracking guitars @danishbacon ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Words fail me, Fred. I’d wager that you’ve priced it a little on the low side 

Did the come from the Netherlands? 
    Formerly known as EvansDrD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16413
    That's too cheap
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2046
    edited April 2023
    I wish there was a 'Holy Fuck' fret button. You'll have to make do with a Wow from me. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Fabulous, Fred. I regret selling mine. I have a feeling that it might be from mid 1948 onwards, as mine was an early 1948 with the last of the script logos.
    Call me Dave.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5020
    Almost a birth year for me! (1949).  Absolutely stunning guitar.

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2762
    Has now found a new home with a forum gentleman. Thank you and sorry to all who expressed interest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom