Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One for the watch-ists

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
For Mrs TT's last "significant" birthday, I bought her a watch.  Breitling.  Yes, I know, but this was a piece of birthday jewelry as much as a watch.

A few years pass and it needs a new battery, so she took it into the local Breitling shop thinking that they'd charge an extra few quid, but that they'd put a decent battery in there.  No, the watch has to be sent away to Breitling's UK service centre to be re-sealed after the replacement battery.  So she left it there to be sent away.

3 weeks pass and the shop gets in touch to say that pre-battery-replacement tests discovered a fault with the watch's superquartz, and that'd be ££s to rectify it, please.

At this stage, I got involved and contacted Breitling's UK customer services to ask about (a) the level of their customer service if it takes 3 weeks to replace a battery and (b) the quality of their watches if the superquartz (whatever that may be) can fail after a few years.

I've exchanged a few emails with them now.  They've said that the watch has now been re-tested and no fault found.  I asked what could have caused an intermittent fault, to which they've replied that their (original) test was faulty, not the watch.

This is all starting to sound a bit dodgy to me.  Were they trying to rip us off originally with the alleged fault, or could their testing process really be so unreliable that it finds errors where there are none - or finds none where there is one?  And what is a "superquartz" and what could cause it to become faulty.

So, knowing that there are a few watch-fans out there, I thought I'd ask you lot, oh wise watch men of the forum ...
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like a money making scam to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    Well, I have an email from a customer services advisor from their UK service centre saying ...

"the initial test results were incorrect, when re-tested the watch passed"

which I'm inclined to pass on to Breitling HO to ask for their comment on the standard of testing undertaken by their UK service centre if I don't get a satisfactory answer from the service centre.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    edited October 2014
    *Makes note never to buy a Breitling*

I've only ever had to deal with Customer Service from Frederique Constant who have always been second to none (despite having my watch for an extended period - turns out it got lost in the job list - but they were apologetic and didn't charge me for my service. 

Hoping I don't ever have problems with Omega - but I've heard nothing but good things about their Customer Service, so fingers crossed. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    sounds like a scam by the shop. for servicing all breitlings and Omegas etc are supposed to go to switzerland. before i sold my omega it developed a fault. they replaced loads of parts in the watch. it came back working and they supplied all of the components replaced. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • To my mind... not acceptable.  Can't see an angle where this is OK.... either their testing lacks consistency / repeatability (which is very concerning), or the tester made an error (which is also very concerning), or it has an intermittent fault that the tests sometime notice (again very concerning). Wouldn't want to guess about whether the failure was deliberate or not... because that would be even more concerning.

Also... even if the watch did have a fault.... assuming it's not ancient and it was bought new from an authorised outlet.... wouldn't you expect a prestige brand to stand by their product and repair it free of charge?

Good luck

edited October 2014
    @Strat_a_tat_tat ... those are pretty much my thoughts too.

@thorpy6 ... the shop (authorised distributor) sent it back to the UK Service Centre for the work - it's the Service Centre that I've been in discussions with.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    Sounds like a wind up to me....
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Lol /\
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    TTony said:
    Well, I have an email from a customer services advisor from their UK service centre saying ...

"the initial test results were incorrect, when re-tested the watch passed"

which I'm inclined to pass on to Breitling HO to ask for their comment on the standard of testing undertaken by their UK service centre if I don't get a satisfactory answer from the service centre.

Surely if a test is showing a fault, the test would be done again. And a third time if the second test showed a different result.

Maybe I'm cynical (Me never....) but that smacks of a rip-off.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Another Frederique Constant story ...

My watch strap wore out, left it with the shop as the end of the strap has to be curved and normal replacement straps don't fit.  Plus I need "Large" as the normal size strap doesn't fit me.

Weeks go by .....

In the end the shop had write a snotty letter to FC HQ in Switzerland and poor service and late supply of spares ....

They showed me the personal letter from the Chief Exec in response - a middle manager has been disciplined for not re-stocking because of only one request for a spare.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited October 2014
    I have several Chronographs which have needed a battery replacement over a period of time. 

The first time I was stung was when H. Samuel had to send my Seiko Moonphase to Seiko UK to get the battery changed and the watch resealed. That was a long time ago, and the cost was £40. I dread to think what it would cost now.

I now take my Chronographs to a trusted watch battery fitter (family run business which takes great care and pride in their work), at a local Saturday street market, who charges £3. 

The watches are not used for swimming/diving, and so do not need to be resealed and pressure tested!!!!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    It now transpires that;

The watch wasn't faulty (although it was originally reported as such).
    The test wasn't faulty (although it was originally reported as such).
    The new explanation is that the testing *process* had applied the wrong test programme.

Each time they give me a new explanation, they don't seem to realise that the root cause is ever-more serious from a customer perspective.

The watch was faulty - I'm concerned because its *my* watch.  (OK, my wife's).  Problem count =1 customer
    The test was faulty - that could affect everyone whose watch has been measured against that specific test.  Problem count=1 test.
    The testing process was faulty - that could affect everyone whose watch has been measured against any test.  Problem count=everyone.

I think I'm going to have to contact their head of Quality Assurance, Internal Audit or Compliance ...

I finished my work contract yesterday.  I might have too much time on my hands.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    TTony;368795" said:
    I might have too much time on my hands.
    Ha! Very good!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony;368795" said:
    I might have too much time on my hands.
    Ha! Very good!
    :D
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    edited October 2014
    Ernest Schneider
    C.E.O.
    Breitling SA
    P.O.Box 1132 
    2540 GRENCHEN - SWITZERLAND

I'm guessing his email would be ernest.schneider@breitling.com

Don't mess with the monkeys.... go straight to the organ grinder.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Thanks @Emp_Fab.

Interestingly, Theodore Schneider is one of the two listed directors of the UK company.  Perhaps Breitling is actually just a couple of brothers in a shed down the bottom of their garden in Swissland???
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    (quick Google later....) ahh....You're right.  Theodore is his son and is the current CEO.

Ernest is no longer CEO.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9783
    I suspect that no matter how prestigious the name, most quartz watches have very inexpensive movements in them. I doubt it's economical for them to carry out any testing beyond putting in a new battery and seeing if it starts up again.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I would suggest you receive a complimentary service on the watch next time it is due. I am an expert at complaining professionally to large companies with great success when they cock things up or try and rip me off. I have worked in my job at the same firm for many years and in my book the customer is always right and we take care of problems