Guy Martin - Spitfire Rebuild

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Paul_C;378157" said:
    Deadman said:

I've worked on a few of those beauties. My fingertips bled after wet flatting one, there's so many rivets to go round!

There's nothing like having one fly directly over your head at full pelt/low level.

NSFW with the sound up ;)
    Lol.
    Good program, I love Guy Martin's enthusiasm, bit like Fred Dibnah but less irritating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Good program, I love Guy Martin's enthusiasm, bit like Fred Dibnah but less irritating.
    Plus you know that if we were back in 1940 he'd be the best fitter you ever had and likely a Sgt pilot ace.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Why does he say everything twice ? Why does he say everything twice ?

I loved it, Mrs J can't stand him ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Mrs F watches Strickly - 'nuff said.
  • Just for the sake of balance, I can't stand him.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Loved it.

Nice to see him being quite humble and not bigging up his involvement in the build like a lot of other shows/presenters would (despite as the head guy on the build said he certainly had the skills to be heavily involved).

Good mix of old footage and interviews with the veterans and factory workers as well (that stuff usually brings a tear to my eye).

The flight footage at the end was superb as well.

Well done Channel 4!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    The machine gun bit was bordering on Top Gear, but good nevertheless.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Most of the way through it on 4od. Very good. Got a new found respect for the plane and the pilots. The bit where they're flying around with the Messerschmidt was ace, it's great they can still fly them like that.

What I don't like about Fred Dibnah is how he always said "yeah, yeah" like he had to prove he knew what the other person was saying. I don't know, let the man the speak...
    My V key is broken
  • Jalapeno said:
    What they didn't say was the Messerschmitt Bf109's 20mm cannon and fuel injection put it all over the Mk1 Spit.  Nor did they mention the fact the 109 was easier, quicker and cheaper to build.

However, we did eventually gear up.  First two 20mm cannon replaced four of the wing mounted machine guns. Then the remaining .303 machine guns were replaced with a pair of large calibre machine guns with longer range. Finally, by the end of the war all British single seat fighters had four 20 mm cannons.

Where we did have the advantage was incendiary bullets. "De Wilde" ammunition was only just ready in time for the Battle of Britain. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    Jalapeno said:
    What they didn't say was the Messerschmitt Bf109's 20mm cannon and fuel injection put it all over the Mk1 Spit.  Nor did they mention the fact the 109 was easier, quicker and cheaper to build.

However, we did eventually gear up.  First two 20mm cannon replaced four of the wing mounted machine guns. Then the remaining .303 machine guns were replaced with a pair of large calibre machine guns with longer range. Finally, by the end of the war all British single seat fighters had four 20 mm cannons.

Where we did have the advantage was incendiary bullets. "De Wilde" ammunition was only just ready in time for the Battle of Britain. 

Indeed, there was a good semi-documentary thing on TV a few years back where they compared the 109 to the Spitfire, very interesting and raised the points you mention.

Lovely looking thing for a instrument of death and destruction!  

IIRC from some docu or other the Germans never went  to full production capacity in their aircraft factories. It was great to hear that old gal last night taking about working at Castle Bromwich  8-8 Monday to Friday, 8-5 Saturday and 8-4 Sunday....with just one week off in July!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    holnrew said:
    Most of the way through it on 4od. Very good. Got a new found respect for the plane and the pilots. The bit where they're flying around with the Messerschmidt was ace, it's great they can still fly them like that.

What I don't like about Fred Dibnah is how he always said "yeah, yeah" like he had to prove he knew what the other person was saying. I don't know, let the man the speak...

I noticed Guy says "eh?" after each sentence.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I noticed Fred Dibnah said "of course" all the time. And once you've noticed him saying it, it gets really bloody annoying. His last wife was in one of the series and even she says it all the time too. Argghhh!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Dibnah likes structures too much for my liking too. Other than bridges I want to see machines really.
    My V key is broken
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited October 2014
    Fred Dibnah had his own traction engine he had restored. Bit of a hero of mine, a proper old school engineer. He might have been a northerner, but I could have listened, and learned from, that bloke all day. They don't make 'em like that any more. Guy Martin is getting there, and despite the fact I can't understand a word the bloke says, he has the biggest balls of anyone for riding in the TT.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Spitfire is alright, Supermarine had their early days around these parts, sea racing in the 20's and 30's around Calshot.

I've always fancied a Stuka Dive bomber, Junkers Ju 87 myself.  You know to dive the hell out of everyone with the air siren on.

Got to be less of them around than there are Spitfires.  Surely.

That is a cool airplane.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:

Spitfire is alright, Supermarine had their early days around these parts, sea racing in the 20's and 30's around Calshot.

I've always fancied a Stuka Dive bomber, Junkers Ju 87 myself.  You know to dive the hell out of everyone with the air siren on.

That is a cool airplane.

The horn of jerico IIRC (the siren). Proper fear tackics. I didn't know until recently that the dive bombing was actually an automated process, although the experienced Pilots turned it off knowing that allied fighters could easily pick them off as the plan flew it's bombing manoeuvre
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Sambostar said:

Only two, both museum pieces and not airworthy, according to Wikipedia.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    Bolton  Uni Halls of residence is across the road from Dibnah's House.   So he was technically my neighbour for a couple of years.  

Used to see him out and about quite often actually.